• Paint mufflers black (but not tips)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Leave it alone (don't paint anything)

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Alright so I am going to buy Apexi's WSII Dual setup (found it for $599). Greddy is too expensive, plus its tips are apparently 1/2" bigger in diameter than the 4" Apexi tip, which is already freakin huge. I like the size of Comptech's 3" tips but they don't make a cat-back for our cars, but even if they did I imagine it would be too expensive since their axle-back is over $600. Not interested in HKS. And I don't want to machine my own custom exhaust so my options are pretty limited.

Also from what I've read the Apexi is less likely to decrease low end power. Now I don't expect to really gain any power, but I don't want to lose any either. But since I don't have headers, a high flow cat, and I am still driving a 4spd, power gain is obviously not a goal for me with this upgrade. I am simply wanting great sound with good looks. Why not go with an axle-back you ask? Well my car is not fast right now, but I plan on swapping to 6spd eventually and at that point I'll want the bigger piping to be there already for when I upgrade other parts. Anyway I don't want to get ahead of myself.

SO, I am concerned about the diameter of the WSII tips. I don't want my car to look ricey in the least or have any "bling factor", so right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to paint the mufflers and tips a flat black. This will mask how huge the mufflers and tips are somewhat, and give a subtle aggressive look instead of sparking "look at me" stainless. Plus I am going with a red/black theme for my car and I think this has the potential to look good. I like the look of the "dirty, sooty exhaust" on LeMans cars.

But I'd like 6GA's second opinion, so if you got one, vote. Thanks ladies and fellers.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
It is very hard to make the paint last, the position that the mufflers are, they are subject to heat (obviously), and everything that is kicked up by the tires (water, dirt, rocks, road salt, sand, etc) and so without proper prep work, it will end up looking pretty bad after a year or so. I would say just keep them the way they are.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It is very hard to make the paint last, the position that the mufflers are, they are subject to heat (obviously), and everything that is kicked up by the tires (water, dirt, rocks, road salt, sand, etc) and so without proper prep work, it will end up looking pretty bad after a year or so. I would say just keep them the way they are.

I think the heat factor would not be a problem with using the right prep work and high temp paint. But yeah, the road debris hitting it is another story and definitely a concern, thanks man.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
dont know if a bedliner-like spray would be heat resistant but those are pretty durable.

leave the tips chrome...and like the stones said...i wanna see you paint it black...

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Don't paint the tips. And if you paint the cans, what's the point if the tips will still be all shiny. lol. I thought about it at one point, but I decided to just keep everything shiny and polish it up. It looks nice, not too blingy or ricey at all.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
dont know if a bedliner-like spray would be heat resistant but those are pretty durable.

leave the tips chrome...and like the stones said...i wanna see you paint it black...

Innnnteresting. Points for getting the Stones reference.

do suspension first :) :aznrun:

It's in the works as of today.

Don't paint the tips. And if you paint the cans, what's the point if the tips will still be all shiny. lol. I thought about it at one point, but I decided to just keep everything shiny and polish it up. It looks nice, not too blingy or ricey at all.

Choice #2 was just to offer some variety, haha. But yeah the tips, which is what I meant by cans since they're huge, with a black muffler behind it would only make them stand out more, thus bigger. The diameter of the tip is what really bothers me. I just think it's ricey because it's big, and no tip for an Accord needs to be that big. Don't know why someone can't just make a tasteful catback for our cars. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Johnson

Reaction score
i say paint the tubing flat black. leave the muffler and tip

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Back