tranny going bad?*added video*

hirichard

Reaction score
So I got my license suspended back in november and I got it back in feb. My car has been sitting in my driveway since november also because I had a bad alternator and I was saving up for a new one. So my dad puts in a new alternator and we start my car(finally). And we let it warm up. After doing so the idle rises to 1.5-1.6k and then out of nowhere it revs by itself to 2-3k. It does that in neutral and park. When I shift to anything else the whole tranny kinda "bumps" up in the bay a little. I don't know what's causing this. Could it be my tranny breaking down? Any help would be appreciated. Ill post a vid of the engine reving from 1.5-1.6k to 2-3k constantly later in the morning.

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Re: tranny going bad?

Is it kicking up when the A/C kicks on? Or perhaps since it was sitting for so long it's charging the battery up to full charge. Have you only tested it the once or have you driven it a bit and it's still doing this?

98acclude

Reaction score

that sounds like an idle problem rather than a tranny issue... I dont think you need to worry about your transmission goin out on you because it's idle hopping i neutral and park and not when there is a load on the motor n transmission right?

Erik123456789

Reaction score

thats definitely just an idle problem, even if your tranny was messed up it would idle fine on neutral/park.. just check for any awkward air-like leaks (vacuum leaks)

hirichard

Reaction score

Is it kicking up when the A/C kicks on? Or perhaps since it was sitting for so long it's charging the battery up to full charge. Have you only tested it the once or have you driven it a bit and it's still doing this?

i havent tried it with the AC on. and it has been driven a few times from nov-feb. after feb it sat on my driveway since then. i replaced the battery and alternator within a month ago.

posted video

Erik123456789

Reaction score
ok so thats not a vacuum leak.. when you have a vacuum leak the idle rises and yours sounds like its bogging out

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sounds like when you take off the brake booster vacuum hose right before you pour seafoam into it - the car surges like that, exactly like that. Look into it, maybe a hose came loose. Definitely an idle/vacuum problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-b4wufsvg

Start watching and listening at 1:42, same surge / sound.

Last edited:

hirichard

Reaction score
when i seafoamed my car back in october the hose you let suck in the seafoam kinda broke off that black cylinder attached to the back of my engine bay(im a V6). so my dad got one of those hose connectors to fix it. everything worked fine after that too though..

Back