6th Gen Power Folding Heated Mirrors.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share this with the community. Even though this is not really a DIY. ( Mods move where necessary ) I hope it helps out members that want to add PFM to their 6th gen accords. My brother had a pretty nice 5th gen, I always liked the PFM he had. So I started my quest. I wasted lots of money on "jdm" euro-r parts (lol that topic again). Lights, lip kits, steering wheels, visors, and PFM. I purchased the CL1 power folding mirrors, mounted them and liked that they where smaller and looked a bit more sportier. (Maybe the smaller size?) Wired them up and loved the PFM. What I didn't like was the angle. To switch lanes I had to lean foward as if I was looking at my blind spot. It annoyed me to the point that I put back my oem ones. I felt like my car looked like Dumbo after putting back my oem ones. I ripped open my $280 CL1 mirrors (shipping was a killer) to try and swap the motor into the USDM. That was a fail. Tried my brothers CD5 mirrors that was a fail. I gave up for a while. Then this happened.....
Yes I Know She's Dirty in this Pic, and rusted rotors lol.

Side%20Swipe%202.jpg

So my search continued.
I made a list of all honda PFM. I started comparing and trying to see if I can swap the motors. But I ran into something when a friend came over with his RSX. When I saw what I saw I went home and got my broken oem mirror. Take a look.... RSX next to an Accord mirror.....

That made a light bulb in my head light up lol. I remember seeing DC5 integra (which is the RSX ) PFM on eBAY. Went online and saw the pictures......and hit BUY IT NOW..... and they arrived. (The Grey one is an accord mirror)

Look at the shape identical except the bases.

I took them off the bases, better said the sails, and found 1 screw doesn't really line up. So I practiced with my broken drivers side and did this....

Please keep in mind this was a test part once I had figured out how much I needed to modify I got another sail and made less cuts. 1 hole needs to be made slightly bigger, another needs to be repositioned a bit.

** I don't have pictures of this part but I made a small aluminum plate and cut the holes for the correct mounting positions. I did this in order to have something to "grab" (sort of a washer) since I made modifications to 2 holes. I made the bolt on the one that was cut larger face down so I used a nut in the bottom to hold it securely. Filled with a little bondo. (My mirror looks like it only has 2 screws) The other 2 I used the normal screws going up.**

If I find the picture of the aluminum I will post it.

Built it back and installed....

I wired it to a 7 wire relay. There is also a 5 wire one. (The relay I got was 7). There is plenty of DIYS and diagrams for that online.

Now to the heated......

Being at the junk yard, I seen a ton of TL'S and they have a heated button that looks alot like the PFM button. The only difference is the TL stays down while as my PFM jumps back up after pressed. As usual my curious OCD self wanted heated mirrors. I popped off the TL glass and it's just 2 wires. Just like your rear heated glass is 2 wires. (Power and ground, obviously not the 100 wires on your rear windshield (heating element) just the wires bringing the power)
The TL glass doesn't fit. I left that topic alone.
One day visiting the junk yard, I found an Acura CL 2001. .....I took a look at the mirror that was hanging just like my poor drivers one was once.... and stepped back and noticed it looked ALOT LIKE MY ACCORD MIRROR. Ripped off the glass went to the first 6th gen I found (in the junk yard) and mock placed it in the mirror housing.... I grinned and bought both glasses from the CL.

The CL 2001 heated mirror.

Notice the shape? Take a look at your 6th Gen mirror....

The CL mirror rear, the heated element plugs...

*Fun note....
MAYBE PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME....
If you're looking just for heated mirrors Maybe just MAYBE.....the CL glass fits our OEM mirrors. The mounting points look identical. ( lol Canadians don't care they have heated mirrors right?) Next time I'm in the junk yard I will check for us.**

Now this part was for not knowing the RSX had heated mirrors. (My friends did not) I took of the just the glass off the skinny black trim and added it to the skinny black trim of the RSX. Pleaseeee be careful I broke 2 glass mirrors trying this. Take a look at the RSX mounting compared to the CL (which looks very similar to our accords)

Take a look how the shape is identical to our accords. This is an RSX Glass....

The rear heated element on the RSX...

Now with this being said and shown, obviously it looks much easier to just get RSX heated glass. At the time I didn't know the RSX had heated glass since my friends didn't. That's why I did it the hard way with the CL. Please keep this in mind that I have not confirmed they fit, but I don't see a reason why they wont.

I wired it to the rear heated glass. Since the PFM take up the slot where the TL and CL have the heated mirror button. If any one needs which wires to tap into, let me know.

After that hot mess this is what you end up with....
Excuse the old blackberry video, I did this a while ago.

http://youtu.be/QVerONJRWzE

Hope there's more people that will get PFM. I know that there is people with 7th gen power foldings, (I do love the side markers on the mirror) but I'm a stocky ****y kind of car guy. Let's get more OEM Looking PFM out there!
Enjoy guys and hope this helps the community.

**Please remember sedan and coupe sails are different**

Let's get more PFM out there!!!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
:eek:

Want. Your say you're crazy and OCD in doing all of this, but I think you kind of have to be haha. But all these little things you think of to make the Accord a little nicer, I've had the same thoughts so you are not alone. Hell that's what got me wanting heated seats.

So...the RSX mirror housing would swap to the 6GA coupe sail, the only unknown is if the RSX glass would fit well inside the 6GA mirror housing? There is no separating the black plastic and glass with the RSX method if I'm understanding correctly.

I guess the only other question is which RSX models have heated mirrors...maybe just Type-s? Which model did your buddy have, since you said his mirrors were not heated?

Repped! Youre the man.

PS - I'm trying to stop spending money on this car so I can keep saving for my next one, but you are making it VERY difficult! haha

FNCONE

Reaction score
:eek:

Want. Your say you're crazy and OCD in doing all of this, but I think you kind of have to be haha. But all these little things you think of to make the Accord a little nicer, I've had the same thoughts so you are not alone. Hell that's what got me wanting heated seats.

So...the RSX mirror housing would swap to the 6GA coupe sail, the only unknown is if the RSX glass would fit well inside the 6GA mirror housing? There is no separating the black plastic and glass with the RSX method if I'm understanding correctly.

I guess the only other question is which RSX models have heated mirrors...maybe just Type-s? Which model did your buddy have, since you said his mirrors were not heated?

Repped! Youre the man.

PS - I'm trying to stop spending money on this car so I can keep saving for my next one, but you are making it VERY difficult! haha

Lol like my girlfriend tells me "you're never done with the car"...
Thanks for the rep! When I first joined the community I thought rep was like a thumbs up. After I realized it's more of a rating type of system, I felt like an *** when I said "if you like the visors u can hit rep" (the visor thread issue lol) In no way I came here to be ****y. I thought it was just a thumbs up like FB. So don't picture me like that guys, whoever knows me knows I'm not an asshole. Lol I'm not ****y I'm confident.

To answer your questions,

1. Yes the RSX mirror can be swapped to the sail.Slight modding needed due to screws not aligning. (mine is a sedan, please remember coupe sails kinda "stretch" a little longer) Can't explain it...just try to put a coupe mirror on a sedan and you will see what I mean.
I don't quite remember if the RSX PFM motor can just be swapped entirely into a USDM Accord mirror, but either way the screw alignment issue will still be there. (I kept the actual RSX mirror and just used the Accord sail.

2. The RSX glass fits perfect into the Accord mirror. IF you have the RSX PFM Motor in it. The way they clip on the mirror won't work on a USDM Accord.
For instance, if you just wanted heated mirrors you cannot just buy heated RSX mirrors and pop them in. UNLESS you do what I did. Remove the actual glass from the skinny black trim the "holds" the glass and swap it to the Accord one. Tedious and you have to be careful. I broke two glass mirrors trying this. (Because I did not know the RSX had heated mirrors)
That's when I did a little research and found out the RSX does have heated mirror option. Which should be a direct swap without having to swap the skinny black trim. I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THIS, BUT I SEE NO REASON WHY IT WOULD NOT FIT. IT'S RSX TO RSX.
I say I have not confirmed because I used an acura CL 2001 heated glass. Same shape as our cars. (Swapping the glass from the skinny black trim) basically the CL heated glass is on the skinny black trim of the RSX which fits perfectly on the RSX PFM.
That lead me to believe this CL heated glass (without modification) Should fit into the stock Accord mirror for those just wanting the heated option. (Perhaps the Canadian glass also. If it's heated?) I believe it will because the mounting points look similar. Once again, DON'T QUOTE ME. Once I go to the junk yard I will confirm this.

3. My friend had a 2002 RSX Base.
The 2004 and up RSX HAVE HEATED. No matter what trim. (Base, Leather,Type-S)
**not sure if 02 and 03 Type-S have heated?**
For a fact I know 04 and up have.

:handshake:

*Edit*
"BUT if you have the RSX PFM Motor in it.".... Ignore the BUT and it will make more sense. That is my fault, I didn't make sense.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks for the rep! When I first joined the community I thought rep was like a thumbs up. After I realized it's more of a rating type of system, I felt like an *** when I said "if you like the visors u can hit rep" (the visor thread issue lol) In no way I came here to be ****y. I thought it was just a thumbs up like FB. So don't picture me like that guys, whoever knows me knows I'm not an asshole. Lol I'm not ****y I'm confident.

I know enough from our extensive communication about the seats, no worries lol.

Yes the RSX mirror can be swapped to the sail.Slight modding needed due to screws not aligning. (mine is a sedan, please remember coupe sails kinda "stretch" a little longer) Can't explain it...just try to put a coupe mirror on a sedan and you will see what I mean.

Ok so whether the RSX PFM housing is swapped to a 6GA coupe or sedan, it doesn't matter - you just have to modify the mounting points like you showed. 2 screws line up and 1 does not.

I don't quite remember if the RSX PFM motor can just be swapped entirely into a USDM Accord mirror, but either way the screw alignment issue will still be there. (I kept the actual RSX mirror and just used the Accord sail.

I believe someone tried doing something like that in the below thread and found there was not enough room in the USDM housing to get the motor in there as well.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39585

The RSX glass fits perfect into the Accord mirror. BUT if you have the RSX PFM Motor in it. The way they clip on the mirror won't work on a USDM Accord.
For instance, if you just wanted heated mirrors you cannot just buy heated RSX mirrors and pop them in. UNLESS you do what I did. Remove the actual glass from the skinny black trim the "holds" the glass and swap it to the Accord one. Tedious and you have to be careful. I broke two glass mirrors trying this. (Because I did not know the RSX had heated mirrors)
That's when I did a little research and found out the RSX does have heated mirror option. Which should be a direct swap without having to swap the skinny black trim. I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THIS, BUT I SEE NO REASON WHY IT WOULD NOT FIT. IT'S RSX TO RSX.
I say I have not confirmed because I used an acura CL 2001 heated glass. Same shape as our cars. (Swapping the glass from the skinny black trim) basically the CL heated glass is on the skinny black trim of the RSX which fits perfectly on the RSX PFM.
That lead me to believe this CL heated glass (without modification) Should fit into the stock Accord mirror for those just wanting the heated option. (Perhaps the Canadian glass also. If it's heated?) I believe it will because the mounting points look similar. Once again, DON'T QUOTE ME. Once I go to the junk yard I will confirm this.

3. My friend had a 2002 RSX Base.
The 2004 and up RSX HAVE HEATED. No matter what trim. (Base, Leather,Type-S)
**not sure if 02 and 03 Type-S have heated?**
For a fact I know 04 and up have.

:handshake:

Ok. So the best way for me to go about all this is to get a set of RSX PFM side mirrors, AND a set of 04-06 RSX USDM heated side mirrors. Then I swap the RSX heated mirror glass itself onto the RSX PFM housing (straight swap), then swap the PFM housing w/heated glass onto the 6GA coupe sail (and modify the mounting).

Hooking up the heat seems easy enough. The 5 prong relay thing I still need to learn more about.

Two parts I'm confused on:

"The RSX glass fits perfect into the Accord mirror. BUT if you have the RSX PFM Motor in it. The way they clip on the mirror won't work on a USDM Accord."

Does this mean the PFM mirror glass w/motor won't fit

"For instance, if you just wanted heated mirrors you cannot just buy heated RSX mirrors and pop them in. UNLESS you do what I did. Remove the actual glass from the skinny black trim the "holds" the glass and swap it to the Accord one."

I thought you only had to separate mirror glass from the thin black backing if you were trying to use CL heated glass?

FNCONE

Reaction score
I know enough from our extensive communication about the seats, no worries lol.

Thanks!

Ok so whether the RSX PFM housing is swapped to a 6GA coupe or sedan, it doesn't matter - you just have to modify the mounting points like you showed. 2 screws line up and 1 does not.

Correct 1 screw fits, 1 needs to be moved alot, and one moved a BIT. Possibly 2 fit without moving if screwed tightly.

Mines a sedan, if it wasn't so cold I would try a coupe sail. Should be same concept. I see no difference with the sedan and coupe mirrors, just sails.
Let's get a coupe done! Lol

I believe someone tried doing something like that in the below thread and found there was not enough room in the USDM housing to get the motor in there as well.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39585

Yes I read thru it.

Ok. So the best way for me to go about all this is to get a set of RSX PFM side mirrors, AND a set of 04-06 RSX USDM heated side mirrors. Then I swap the RSX heated mirror glass itself onto the RSX PFM housing (straight swap), then swap the PFM housing w/heated glass onto the 6GA coupe sail (and modify the mounting).

Yes I bought the RSX without heated and it swapped right in. There was a small nipple that I removed that the PFM doesn't need. When you have it in person you will see.
With that being said I used USDM RSX GLASS on the JDM PFM Mirror assembly. So the heated USDM is definitely a direct swap. (I will order one and test)

Hooking up the heat seems easy enough. The 5 prong relay thing I still need to learn more about.

Not difficult. The seats you are wiring are harder so don't stress it. Power, ground, switch, and the last 2 wires get spliced between the 2 wires in each mirror. If it's a 7 wire relay each mirror gets its own 2 wires.

Two parts I'm confused on:

"The RSX glass fits perfect into the Accord mirror. BUT if you have the RSX PFM Motor in it. The way they clip on the mirror won't work on a USDM Accord."

Does this mean the PFM mirror glass w/motor won't fit?

Sorry for the confusion. I don't remember if the motor assembly fits in the USDM Accord housing. (I just painted mine with it in) I just used the Accord Sails for correct alignment (RHD vs. LHD)
what I meant is the glass is the same shape. Once you are using the RSX PFM. The accord glass won't clip in. Different mounting locations. So you have to use the RSX glass that came with the PFM. BUT they will be opposite. ("Objects closer than they appear" on Drivers side) that's why I bought USDM RSX mirrors. So what I mean is The RSX fit (obviously it's an RSX ) in the JDM PFM but also fit in the Accord if you swapped the thin black trim if YOU JUST WANTED HEAT. As also the CL 2001 Fit. I believe (I want to check ) the CL might be a direct swap for poeple just wanted heated on a USDM Accord Mirror.

"For instance, if you just wanted heated mirrors you cannot just buy heated RSX mirrors and pop them in. UNLESS you do what I did. Remove the actual glass from the skinny black trim the "holds" the glass and swap it to the Accord one."

I thought you only had to separate mirror glass from the thin black backing if you were trying to use CL heated glass?

Yes but if u buy USDM RSX glass the shape fits but not the mounting points. Again this is if you only want HEATED MIRROR NOT PFM.
That's why now that I know USDM RSX has heated this swap got easier. No need to remove from trim if you have PFM or no need to remove from trim if you just want heated use the CL on USDM Accord mirror. I will confirm on the CL. I wanna test in the junk Yard!!

Last edited by a moderator:

FNCONE

Reaction score
Ryder how did you quote only parts of my post? I tried but it looks like it's part of your quote. Let me know and I'll fix it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^If there are paragraphs in a post that you want to address separately, you have to break up the post. So quote the post as normal, then at the beginning of each paragraph within the post you would add
RedRyder said:
but without that last space. And at the end of each paragraph add [/quote ] again without that last space.

So the heat functions same as the rear defrost, so it's activated by that button. But what about the folding, do yours just fold in every time you turn the car off? Or do you have a button for that somewhere?

Your video is mouth watering...

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
^If there are paragraphs in a post that you want to address separately, you have to break up the post. So quote the post as normal, then at the beginning of each paragraph within the post you would add [ quote=RedRyder ] but without that last space. And at the end of each paragraph add [ /quote ] again without that last space.

Like this? I think I got it thanks!

So the heat functions same as the rear defrost, so it's activated by that button. But what about the folding, do yours just fold in every time you turn the car off? Or do you have a button for that somewhere?

I can make them fold when I shut of the car, but mine is not wired that way.
This is the PF switch it just adds a little button. That button opens and folds the mirrors. (the relay reverses polarity and once it feels resistance stops sending power)

Your video is mouth watering...

LOL you should see peoples faces when they see them fold. I had an older lady ask me what I pressed to fold them. She had a 6th Gen :)

Last edited:
Back