Connie, 2002 EX-V6 Coupe (56K)

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
The roads are pretty decent in my area but I'm debating lowering my car just cause it's inconvenient. I'd like to be able to pull into my own driveway lol. The black rims look good with that road warrior look you have going :waytogo:

This was my debate when my wife was wanting a suspension for her Accord, she never had a suspension in her life and is not always cautious so you could see why I was hesitant about doing it, but, if you stay pretty reserved then it is completely doable for a daily driver.

Trust me I really searched for the right height springs with dampened shocks to insure she was not going to be bottoming out when dealing with the never ending construction on the crap roads here and the dreaded pot holes you can not always miss sadly.

Those are the things I would consider a real inconvenient around here for the most part, heck if the Accord needed to go down a dirt road I would not even sweat it like I would with my GSR that is considerably lower.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
A better shot of the rims on the car.

Ok so your color choice for your wheels has grown on me a bit I must say, I went as far the other day to look at how if you really still wanted that color they have they have like a computer system that can scan the color and match it perfectly.
They do it with house paints, car paints you name it, it is pretty sweet tech tbh.

Connie

Reaction score
This was my debate when my wife was wanting a suspension for her Accord, she never had a suspension in her life and is not always cautious so you could see why I was hesitant about doing it, but, if you stay pretty reserved then it is completely doable for a daily driver.

Trust me I really searched for the right height springs with dampened shocks to insure she was not going to be bottoming out when dealing with the never ending construction on the crap roads here and the dreaded pot holes you can not always miss sadly.

Those are the things I would consider a real inconvenient around here for the most part, heck if the Accord needed to go down a dirt road I would not even sweat it like I would with my GSR that is considerably lower.

Definitely all about what you're using it for. Makes a lot of sense to have a car capable of going down a gravel road or hopping a curb or two, lol. I mean yeah, I want something low and pretty that handles great on a track, but it's just not practical to be sitting in traffic for 3 hours a day, dodging potholes and idiots, with something that scrapes on a deal leaf on the road. There is NO WAY I could have driven around Mexico for 6 months in this car with anything lower than stock ride height; hell, even that left me scraping on some roads in that place. Speed bumps are like salt and pepper there; sprinkled onto the roads willy-nilly--sometimes I think they build them where they can't be seen so that later they can go back and watch unsuspecting motorists launch Nissan Tsurus and Ford Figos off of them.

The Accord is my "adventure" car; I want it to be able to take me anywhere in North America where roads exist. It would be nice to get stiffer springs, but for me that can only happen if they don't reduce my ride height; at least in the Accord.

The RX7 and the Merkur are a few inches below stock; and that's fine for weekend cruising/track days. Once in awhile I'll commute in the 7, and by the end of the day I always remember why I do that rarely. The clutch in that thing is the opposite of light, and the Tien coilovers on it beat you to death by the time the day is over. I got stuck on this little speed bump in the SubWay parking lot last time I took it. Thing was maybe 3 inches high.

The toys would smoke my Accord on a track all day long, and are way more fun to drive; but they are a nightmare in traffic on the highway and in the city. Sometimes automatic is ok.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Definitely all about what you're using it for. Makes a lot of sense to have a car capable of going down a gravel road or hopping a curb or two, lol. I mean yeah, I want something low and pretty that handles great on a track, but it's just not practical to be sitting in traffic for 3 hours a day, dodging potholes and idiots, with something that scrapes on a deal leaf on the road. There is NO WAY I could have driven around Mexico for 6 months in this car with anything lower than stock ride height; hell, even that left me scraping on some roads in that place. Speed bumps are like salt and pepper there; sprinkled onto the roads willy-nilly--sometimes I think they build them where they can't be seen so that later they can go back and watch unsuspecting motorists launch Nissan Tsurus and Ford Figos off of them.

The Accord is my "adventure" car; I want it to be able to take me anywhere in North America where roads exist. It would be nice to get stiffer springs, but for me that can only happen if they don't reduce my ride height; at least in the Accord.

The RX7 and the Merkur are a few inches below stock; and that's fine for weekend cruising/track days. Once in awhile I'll commute in the 7, and by the end of the day I always remember why I do that rarely. The clutch in that thing is the opposite of light, and the Tien coilovers on it beat you to death by the time the day is over. I got stuck on this little speed bump in the SubWay parking lot last time I took it. Thing was maybe 3 inches high.

The toys would smoke my Accord on a track all day long, and are way more fun to drive; but they are a nightmare in traffic on the highway and in the city. Sometimes automatic is ok.

Yes you can buy a stiffer spring without losing height, I completely understand where you are coming from about needing height to go any where, That is why the Koni Yellows with the valving and dampening set up they have are really nice for daily driving.

But the best thing is, they give you a option of a custom rate spring ( linear or adjustable coil in any rates and or heights) and anytime you get a custom rated spring you know you want the dampening to match or the ride suffers and these checked all those boxes.
It does not hurt that they can be rebuilt either cause you know shocks will crap the bed eventually so it saves money while offering a advantage in my opinion.

If you save your money and wait, every year they go on sale and you can save a nice little lump so you can have your cake and eat it too :)
You just need to know the right site to call and order from.

Connie

Reaction score
Yes you can buy a stiffer spring without losing height, I completely understand where you are coming from about needing height to go any where, That is why the Koni Yellows with the valving and dampening set up they have are really nice for daily driving.

But the best thing is, they give you a option of a custom rate spring ( linear or adjustable coil in any rates and or heights) and anytime you get a custom rated spring you know you want the dampening to match or the ride suffers and these checked all those boxes.
It does not hurt that they can be rebuilt either cause you know shocks will crap the bed eventually so it saves money while offering a advantage in my opinion.

If you save your money and wait, every year they go on sale and you can save a nice little lump so you can have your cake and eat it too :)
You just need to know the right site to call and order from.

I'll keep my eye open. I'm too broke right now with everything going on with my house, and the oe replacements that have been in there for the last 4 years aren't broken or leaking yet. It would be really nice to upgrade; hopefully some overtime comes along soon, and when it does, that'll be next on the list for Connie. Unless she rusts in half first, that is.

Accordx

Reaction score

Yeah exactly and I want to have a quality setup if I'm gonna go for it. As a student who makes just enough money for gas and some minor mods, I don't know if I want to save/invest in a suspension setup that might be inconvenient haha. Maybe someday

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm coming into this party late, but I'll add my 2 cents worth. Having had lowered cars in the past, I'm not really into them now. I quickly got tired of stopping for rail road crossings, dips in the road, speed bumps, driveways, and all other sorts of pavement imperfections, or worrying about something getting torn up when the flat bed guy hooks on to it to take it to a repair shop, or parts breaking. That crap gets old real quick. It's kind of nice having a "normal" car to drive. You don't worry as much about pot holes big enough to swallow a VW, or going down someones driveway and worrying about getting "high centered".
I know most of the crowd here is big into lowering, buy I really wanted a car I use any time, anywhere, and have it ride nice and smooth and in comfort. I like having AC, cruise, and power windows too. I like that the 6th gen Accord is still contemporary looking (not dated like the 5th gen), handles well enough, is quiet, and gets decent fuel economy.
So, if you want to lower it, go for it. I'll keep mine stock, and not worry about stuff scraping the bottom.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Well that would all be true Rusty if you were making a slam burger on some ebay china knock off suspension, but not every suspension has to be a slammed to the ground useless turd for daily driving.

If people would study their spring rates and set up proper dampening or even adjust the height to a "Useable" height level, you would not be seeing people being less then ideal when making a suspension choice.

The problem I see here along with many other sites is people are buying suspensions based on word of mouth from forum boys who never see any track time and majority of those types of people want to be spoon fed.

If more people realized what engineering was and that coil-overs did more then just "Lower a car" and that little perch also can "Raise" the car even taller then the OEM range... Then maybe we would all not have such misconceptions about how anything but a OEM suspension is crap, rides like crap, feels like crap analogy..

But I NEVER see people here looking into the engineering of a "bespoke" suspension or "Digressive valves" or even possibly using a "Shock Dyno" to see the tapper and blow off and dampening qualities of a shock and then properly pairing it with "Proper spring rates."
Who here uses compression and rebound in their set ups and then corner balance it out for a smoother ride and that does not unload the suspension in the corners and possibly cause a wreck???
Very far and few between ever take the steps to properly achieve and or do this.. EVER.. on these sites.

That is the mentality that kills innovation and keeps people in their "Comfort zones" ,when your comfort zone could be a broader horizon and not based on input from outdated ideas of a time from yester-decades ago.

Things change, technology changes, engineering changes. The combustion engine still uses same concept, but boy it sure has gotten better over the years has it not?
Hell, even Honda has embraced suspension tuning in their new Type R, with a comfort mode, sport and race modes depending on how "Plush" of a ride you might need or the type of driving you are doing at the moment.

:)

Point being, if a suspension is done right and you have done your research , you will find out really quick you can have your cake and eat it too.

Back