H22 swap Smog & Legal question

kn106518

Reaction score
OK, so i plan to do the H22 swap into my accord 99 ULEV. I search around the forums and i got mix info regarding Smog test and Legal with CA law.

So far i got these info.
1. if i want to do the swap legally, i have to get the motor from a US 99 prelude or newer.
2. All the emission sensor from the prelude motor.
IS THAT CORRECT, CAN ANYONE VERIFY?

I called KEN at Top Tune Auto, and he said that if i do the H22 swap, i won't be able to pass the SMOG test. So how do you people with H22 swap able to pass the SMOG test (without going under the table) if possible.

In term of ECU. it seem that it is a pain to convert the OBD1 to OBD2. SO I plan to stay with OBD2 and get an AEM EMS to do all the tuning. CAN I DO THAT or NO?

The People with H22 swap want to shine any light on this SUBJECT. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH.:bowdown:

Last edited:

ccordex00

Reaction score
first of all i think you mean obd1 to obd2...you gotta remember that
and off course DO NOT DISCUSS ABOUT LEGAL MATTERS ON THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanna go the same route but I guess we have to stay OBD1

kn106518

Reaction score
hmmm, ok maybe i'm wrong then, but somehow i always think that accord 99 is OBD2, not OBD1.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. yes
2. yes

You wont be doing any OBD2 to OBD1 swapping if you still plan on trying to pass smog and emissions.

Since when did we ever say you couldnt discuss legal matters on the site?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
u can get it refereed at a state referee.... they'll give u a slip if u pass their inspection... if a popo pulls u over, u show them the slip and put on biggest grin :D

turboputz

Reaction score
Correcto. You need awn OBDII H22A4. Then you also need a super rare ecu, which I believe came from a 96 Prelude VTEC OBDIIa. That's the last year before they added the immobilizer.

You need either the ecu OR a prelude engine with a matching ignition from the same car to get around the immobilizer

OBDII - OBDI conversion will be an automatic fail (no idea what that other guy is talking about, guess he has them confused)

Full standalone will also be an automatic fail. That is one case where off-road only actually means what it says.

kn106518

Reaction score
dang, it turn out to be quite difficult now isn't it. SO base on "turboputz" i have to get the same ignition from the prelude engine that i'm going to put in my car. OR the same ECU of the engine that i'm going to put in.

but here is my headache, since i'm going to have KEN do the auto to manual tranns swap soon with H23 trann. So basiclly i'll have H23 tranns with accord manual ECU. So when i do the engine swap, how can i make the new engine work with the H23 tranns.

I'm really sorry for asking too many question, but i search around and there hasn't been any topic cover this problem yet. so any help would be good.

dsrxyickee

Reaction score
you can get the 99 prelude ecu. you can take the ecu to the dealership to get the immobilizer program to your key, as long as you show that the ecu wasn't stolen. as for the transmission h and f series transmission will work.

Back