Weird Winding Noise! HELP ME PLZ!!!

DBO867

Reaction score
Before everyone starts going crazy, I did use the search function and it popped up nothing. There were a couple threads, but none of them was ever resolved. So here's my problem, everytime my car is on, I hear a winding type of noise coming from the motor. It's pretty annoying, at first I thought it was my belts, but they all look brand new. What do you guys think it is? I'm hoping nothing internal, even though it runs smooth. My car drives fine and all but I know this lil noise is going to be something big in the future. I wanna get it fixed now before that happens.

Any suggestions?

WizadOfOz

Reaction score
Winding noise, could you be referring to valve noise?
Perhaps a valve adjustment might be due, but even after the adjustment is done right they might not be the quietest.
My first 6th gen was quiet and smooth, this new one is smooth but likes to purr with a bit of valve noise, nothing uncommon since the adjustment was done at the dealership and everything is running smoothly.

DBO867

Reaction score
Winding noise, could you be referring to valve noise?
Perhaps a valve adjustment might be due, but even after the adjustment is done right they might not be the quietest.
My first 6th gen was quiet and smooth, this new one is smooth but likes to purr with a bit of valve noise, nothing uncommon since the adjustment was done at the dealership and everything is running smoothly.

I don't believe it's the valve but I could be wrong

Describe “winding”. Is it a clicking? Or do you mean whining?

Sorry about that, I meant whining, I don't know why I put winding. Hard to say, but it's constantly whining while the motor is on. At first, I thought it might've been that I needed oil since it was due for a change. But I thought about it, my old cars never did that. But ima have my mechanic friend check it out when he replaces my wheel bearing tomorrow, he's a tech at honda dealership so hopefully that'll get resolved quick

Sounds like it's coming from the motor.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
That will tell you where on the motor, like alt, p/s, a/c, and it may also tell you on the engine, front, top, bottom, transmission.

Just poke one around and let us know what you find.

DBO867

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input but I was able to find the source of the noise. This morning, as I was getting ready to drop the car off to the dealership, I realized that when I step on the clutch, the whining stops. Turns out it's the shaft rotating my bad wheel bearing, luckily that's what I'm going to the dealership for. Dropped her off at 10am, got her back at 1pm. I can now say my car is fully functional and really for some modding.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
CV shaft, spins when the wheel is

All trans shafts, spin when the wheels are

Crankshaft spins when the engine is running

Clutch connects them, so anytime your moving with engine running they are only different when clutch released, when pedal causes bearing to move and un-press plate which is connected to the trans, engine is on 'squishing parts', and the throwout bearing only is stressed when pressing to release it. The throwout bearing only connects the eng&trans are spinning at different speeds, when the clutch is pressed.

I don't know if this includes all the ways it may be said, but I am very interested in what they did.

You did say, 'no noise when clutch pressed', right?

Back