How to Prepare for a Road Racing Event

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i was thinking of entering a scca event that they hold over the summer at the communtity college and i have a DOT. im guessing i have to get a SNELL?

Most likely. In some very local very basic amature levels, they'll let you use a DOT, but mainly Snell is where it's at. If you're looking to get into it further, your best bet is to invest fully in a full-face helmet for future events. The bigger the track, the faster the event, the more likely they'll require a full-face helmet. Like I said in the write-up, open face helmets are a lot cheaper, but I shelled out $300-$400 for my full face helmet and it's definately a keeper.

Pep Boys have DOT helmets, feel that and then compare it with a real Snell helmet and tell me which one makes you feel safer. I'll tell you one thing, the thickness lining of a Snell helmet makes me feel a hell of a lot safer.

mraw112

Reaction score
FallenAngel- what type/ class of road racing are you in. As soon As i get my mr2 running good I plan on selling my accord to start racing in scca it class with either a datsun z or another mr2. Whats the best way to start?

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
The best way to start is to attend 1 real race driving school to see whether you like it or not. Many schools allow you to bring and race drive your own car so you feel what the car is like to handle and learn how to drive your own car. This benefits you in 2 ways. 1, you'll be a better street driver and 2, should you decide to advance, you'll decide whether this is the right car for you or not.

I haven't been in any official racing leagues so I don't have a designated class, but I will tell you most of the classes I will be entering in are designated as "Street Tuned" or "Modified" or the lowest entry class. Different sanctioning bodies rate cars on different standards. Some by tires, some by engine size, some by horsepower, some by aerodynamics of the car, etc.

Since you are in the Southern region of the the States, check out NASA (http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html). They do a lot of track classes where they teach you techniques and such.

Also, check out Hooked on Driving (http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1).

Once you get used to the car and the track, check out your local racing leagues. Florida has one called Formula Automotive Racing Association with minimal licensing fees. You just got to look around. NASA is a great place to start racing professionally also.

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

In the last couple weeks I have been preparing for my first road racing event which will be this weekend!
One question I have is what degree of camber is a good start for our cars for a road racing event? I do not have camber kits, I will be dialing it in as close as I can by just using the natural camber from lowering a car.
Thank you in advanced! Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread and a special thanks to FallenAngelHIM & xci.ed6 for getting this thing going!

~ Avery

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
-2.0 degree camber is what i would shoot for, but i have no idea if u can get to that without camber kits

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Hey, thanks Darkside for the quick reply. I have to do it by tomorrow because I'm getting an alignment on Thursday. But it's my first event, and I'm just looking to have fun and cover as many bases as possible before then.
I picked up a digital angle gauge at harbor freight earlier today so I will see if I can get somewhere close to that.
Also, is that for the front and the rear?
Thanks again!

~ Avery

Last edited:

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Got it, thanks again Darkside. I will get back to you and this thread about what degree I was able to get it to.

~ Avery

Back