DIY Throttle Body Bypass

imaricer:)

Reaction score
I actually have a question about this mod. Since I'm running a tranny cooler and my coolant is already being cooled by an external source, if I did this mod would I notice slightly more gains than by just doing this mod without the tranny cooler? Reason being, I would assume that the coolant would run even cooler and give more of it's focus on cooling down the motor.

i thought tranny coolers cool tranny fluid not coolant?

if that is the case then no. lol

pretty sure the radiator is what helps keep coolant cool

correct me if im wrong.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
The radiator has a part on the bottom that has atf flow through it to cool. Its seperate from the coolant.

As far as tb coolant bypass in winter. Its fine, its been 20something degrees in oregon and never ever had any idle problems. This is the second winter I have been through with this mod and no issues. Yes it does increase power a small bit. Car doesnt take any longer than usual to warm up. I do experience some random hesitation once in a great while if i just turn on and drive right away.

Reaction score
The radiator has a part on the bottom that has atf flow through it to cool. Its seperate from the coolant.

As far as tb coolant bypass in winter. Its fine, its been 20something degrees in oregon and never ever had any idle problems. This is the second winter I have been through with this mod and no issues. Yes it does increase power a small bit.

then why do ppl get tranny coolers? just an extra cooling unit?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Yeah, the atf doesnt really have any fins to go through, its just a plastic area on the bottom of the rad. So adding a tranny radiator is used for towing or racing applications where temps run high. Normal driving or hwy use doesnt need this, the stock one is more than good enough.

Reaction score
Yeah, the atf doesnt really have any fins to go through, its just a plastic area on the bottom of the rad. So adding a tranny radiator is used for towing or racing applications where temps run high. Normal driving or hwy use doesnt need this, the stock one is more than good enough.

i thought it helps extend the life of your DD auto tranny. i even know a person who had there auto tranny on a durango replaced and the shop threw on a "free" tranny cooler.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I dont think ur tranny would run much colder with it installed. Unless someone has actually installed a transmission temp guage before and after im gonna say trans temps wont very with or without. It will only help keep ur trans temp down for towing and racing purposes.

Geewiz

Reaction score
Not to stay off topic, but anyone got a quick link to an individual tranny radiator install guide? If not, guess if I ever did it, I'd make one!

Johnson

Reaction score
instead of buying the clamps and splicer and that bs... why don't you just buy a replacement hose the same length as the two your'e splicing together? cut to length hose is pretty cheap. just saying.
You could do that.

Geewiz

Reaction score
If this isn't on the master list, i recommend it for it. There's simple things on the list.

Back