Transmission ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvtec

Reaction score
OK guys i need some help i have an auto tranney and i heard that from a stop you can get a better take off if you go like d1 d2 d3 d4 other than taking off with just d4 ( :( and also does it hurt ur tranny if i do d1 d2 d3 d4)

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
justvtec said:
OK guys i need some help i have an auto tranney and i heard that from a stop you can get a better take off if you go like d1 d2 d3 d4 other than taking off with just d4 ( :( and also does it hurt ur tranny if i do d1 d2 d3 d4)

Don't Know, I do it sometimes, but I don't think it'll hurt. I think Honda says its okay somewhere in the owners manual. Oh, and I think that you'll get better times if you do like a 2K RPM launch in D1, just make sure you don't hit the rev limiter. That might cause some problems.

blackaccord69

Reaction score
there was a whole big thread about this on the other forum and this conclusion is a fact (tested on tracks)

do this when racing:

d3 from the launch and redline up until the end of the 3rd then shift to d4

doing 1, 2, 3,4 does not give you any extra power, no matter what you have heard

our engines shift at redline as is, and doing it manually doesnt help give you a boost

justvtec

Reaction score
So this will not hurt my engine or tranny if i launch from d3????????

retroshark

Reaction score
woah, i missed this one...

dont shift your auto,,, bad idea, it defeats the point of an auto tranny.

for those of you that dont know, autos are faster in drag then manuals. any computer can shift faster then a hand of a human. anyway, if you really want to launch your auto, and you want to do it with the best performance with the least regaurd for you tranny, here is something that will actually help.

put your car in d4.

put your left foot FIRMLY on the break. now, when your getting ready to launch, rev the car with your foot on the break to abut 4k RPM, 3.5krpm is fine too. when you hit that, release the break either all at once to spin out the tires or slowly to manage the wheel spin. this is called BRAKE TORQUEING and it KILLS your tranny, as will most racing with an automatic car. although saying that, it is the only way to achieve a good launch with an auto.

one more thing, the myth about d3 being faster is false. the principal of the d3 setting is that the car will never shift to 4th gear. launching in d3 is the same as d4 and much more efficient then shifting your car through the gears, that just takes longer.

lastly, the ime to use d3 is from a roll. if your going about 40-60 and someone pulls up next to you and you "have" to race, drop it do d3 and your car will launch from 3rd gear. in that case, d3 is a whole world faster, but only in that case.

brake torqueing is not good for your engine or tranny, i wouldnt advise it, but ive done it, ive practiced it, but i dont recomend doing it at every stoplght unless yoou want a new tranny in a few weeks.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Don't do it :) I just got a new tranny put in free from honda on my 01 accord auto. I will be doing the conv to a 5spd in 3 weeks I have had it with the auto tranny it sucks I would never beat on it.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
dreman said:
Don't do it :) I just got a new tranny put in free from honda on my 01 accord auto. I will be doing the conv to a 5spd in 3 weeks I have had it with the auto tranny it sucks I would never beat on it.

how hard is that conversion? are you DIY or having a shop do it/and cost? and finally, isnt there some problem with the computer and it not recognizing the manual tranny cuz some wires dont get plugged into anything? haha, sorry for all the questions, its just that i might want to do this one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back