Interior Update (finally!)

HomerJay

Reaction score
How difficult was the armrest to do? I love out and an thinking about doing it just not sure how hard it would be to do. I've never worked with fabrics and the like. Any suggestions? Tips?
Generally speaking, take your time. Especially when working with the glue. This was the first upholstery I had ever worked on. Overall, I am very happy with the results. There are some areas I will need to revisit; but nothing major.

I assume you're asking about the center console armrest? The installation guide from Redline Goods indicated that a staple gun would work for installing the leather. I found my staple gun was not sufficiently strong to make the cut. Staples wouldn't make it through the plastic shell. As a result, I glued the leather in place for the center console as well.

What I found for all pieces (including the center console armrest) was that it worked well to test fit the material onto the piece to which it was getting attached. Then work around the edge and tape down the material as if it were glued. This way you could determine the best fit for the piece without committing to the glue.

P7070271.jpg

P7140319.jpg

P7300401.jpg

I don't have any pictures of this step from the center console armrest but it was essentially the same.

When it came time to glue down the piece, pull up a bit of tape to expose the area to be glued, apply glue, let glue dry (as indicated on instructions), then pull leather taut and press down the glued areas to get a good bond. Just move around whatever piece you're working on.

When it came to corners, I tended to work in from both sides and then do the corners last. Sometimes pressing in place with a screwdriver (on the reverse side; not the side that will be visible) or other straight edge to get a nice corner.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
ohh kool kool thanks man. ill have to take a look at he center armrest and see how it all fits together. I cant wait to see the fully finished product. must look, feel, and smell incredible!
you gotta do the CL dash swap next! then you'd have the most luxurious CG ever!:naughtyrun:

Back