Need help with seat belt buckle replacement

loomis

Reaction score
Apologies for posting this also on a couple other forums. Trying to get an answer.

Have an basic 01 with a bad buckle SRS sensor.

Bought a couple buckles at the junk yard, a 98 2-pin out of a base model, and an 01 3-pin out of a loaded leather v6 side airbag car.

Haven't checked to see if my car is 2 or 3 pins yet.

If it's 3 pins, can I just put in the other 01 buckle from the junkyard even though that car had the side airbags v6 etc?

Disconnect battery during swap? Will the SRS light go off on its afterwards?

Or any way to do this without having to reset the SRS light?

Thanks

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It’s best to always disconnect the battery and make sure all the draw is out of the system before working with electricals. When it comes to SRS systems, definitely disconnect the power. If you take your time and put everything back together correctly, you shouldn’t have any trouble. I changed steering wheels (the SRS collar inside is pretty sensitive) and everything was fine. If you’re worried about messing anything up, just takes photos to help you put everything back just as you found it.

A buckle out of the same year or generation should be an appropriate replacement. I thought all 01-02's had side airbags? If not, maybe you need to find a car of the same trim (and gen).

truWarier02

Reaction score
Call your local dealer and see if they'll replace the buckle for free under the recall. I was supposed to get it replaced back in 2010 after they performed the airbag recall but was lazy and I never went back to get it done.

loomis

Reaction score
I mentioned all of this in one of the other accord forums that I posted my buckle question into, but I went through the whole process of going to the dealer, calling Honda USA several times, escalating my case up the ladder to Honda Customer Care, and was ultimately told that the SRS switch inside the buckle is not part of the seat belt (!) and is instead part of the non-lifelime-warranty airbag system. Total BS. I ultimately yelled at them on the phone. Infuriating.

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I mentioned all of this in one of the other accord forums that I posted my buckle question into, but I went through the whole process of going to the dealer, calling Honda USA several times, escalating my case up the latter to Honda Customer Care, and was ultimately told that the SRS switch inside the buckle is not part of the seat belt (!) and is instead part of the non-lifelime-warranty airbag system. Total BS. I ultimately yelled at them on the phone. Infuriating.

Yeah .. Honda dealers suck. I went in to get my ECU programmed .. they left the new ecu dangling and I asked why they didn't put it where it belongs, and the reply I got was that it'll cost another $80 because it's another hour of work. It's just two damn bolts. I went home and did it in 5 minutes.

Either way, I'd definitly get the buckle from the same trim as the one that you have just to be sure.

raider

Reaction score
When I needed my belt buckle replaced, I contacted Honda and it was decided that it would be covered by them as it was deemed a safety issue.
It doesn't hurt to try that approach and see where it ends up.

Back