rivet-on fender flares

snydas1987

Reaction score
Hey guys,
so iv been looking at fender flares and how they are fitted to the car and the modifications usually taken to do this mod. I see they all say to cut your fenders back higher so that you dont have top of your wheel rubbing on the old wheel arches when running wider rims whcih is why you would fit wheel arch flares.
My queary is, wouldn't you be able to mount the fender flares lower on the wheel arch so that the top/rivet part of the fender flares where they meet the stock guard are fittted to the edge of the stock wheel arch. So that way the fender flare start where your stock arches were and then they flare from there down, making your fender/wheel arch lower than stock and wider than stock that way making it so that you dont have to cut your fender arches back for clearance because the new arch position is all clear behind it now.

Did i make sense in my explaining? hope so, it was hard to get my point across.
The main issue then i guess would be that your car wouldnt be as low when set up so the rim is level with the arch. But that way you could have your tires tucking without the chassis dragging along the ground.

Id like to hear peoples thoughts on this way of fitting fender flares and if iv missed anything with the faults of this way of setting them up?
Or if anyone has done them this way id like to here your results?

Im not sure whether im even going with these type of fender flares or actually going with rolling, pulling or flaring my stock fenders but it would be good info to have on doing them the way iv mentioned above if it would work.
Thanks guys
snyds

White6GAV6

Reaction score
You could do that, but your car would be 4 feet off the ground and tucking tire/wheel. It would look silly. Over fenders are a modification that has no turning back once committed. So, if you're going to do it, do it right. Lower the car to an aggressive height that would look good with wider wheels and tires, and also fits your tastes.

Only easy option is the use the basic universal flares. Or you can see about using an over fender like the S-Chassis' use, where its a whole body panel that flares out and fades back to factory towards the edges.

snydas1987

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely want to go low, it was just a idea I had cause I see so many cars running 18" wheels with perfect fitment n then the chassis is almost dragging so I thought with the fender flares universal ones Iv seen your arch would end up 2" down from stock and 2-3" wider so then when ur fitment is on point with your new arch height you would have some ok ground clearance n still look low as.
Only a thought tho n the other thing I was worried about is the space between arch n boot/ hood would look huge hey.?.

I'm hoping I can get away with having guards rolled as wide as possible without cracking paint will get me the look Im after.
I'm going to run hopefully around 8 or 9* camber and I love the look of seeing the rubber sticking out past the body when lookin from front or back. Kinda like hellaflush with hellapoke if that makes sense. If I were to run fender flares I love the ones that jus lip out the top centre of fender and then bevel back to nothing as they come down to the bottoms of the arch. I will be colour coding them same as body if I go that way. Do you think il still get that look ok if I just go with rolled n pumped arches to the point before paint cracks.???
I'm wanting to run bout 1.5" ground clearance and still have the rubber or top of rim to be fitted level with top of wheel arch.
It's so hard d to get my point across with out pictures cause we all have different views on mods n setups hey..
Thanks tho kinda cleared up the idea I was wondering about, I jus see heaps of people wanting the flared look without cutting or reprinting that was all.
Cheers snyds

snydas1987

Reaction score
Iv never quite understood that term but i think its sorta what im after. I love the rocketbunny style flares where the top is flared out but the sides to the bottom of the arch is back to stock fender arch. Il post up a few pics of my ideas ok
thanks

snydas1987

Reaction score
i cant work out how to upload photos tho. dam it.

Well hope this works and you can link to these photos.

This white car has the camber im looking to run, maybe 1 or2* less, i really like that you can see the tread sticking out. They say he's pulled both front n rear arches out 2"-3" so i know if i went that way it would definatly be a repaint hey? i wouldnt be able to get guard work close to this by just using a rolling machine on our car would i? Tho our car already has a bit of a pumped arch look so maybe if you could roll it an inch out it could work.
http://www.stancenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/lexus-ls400-celsior-vip-10-750x500.jpg
http://www.stancenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/lexus-ls400-celsior-vip-7-750x500.jpg

But this fender flare is what im really after but im not ready to repaint my whole car so i thought if i run rivet on flares that have the same profile as this red cars flares it would work out sweet as.(remember im not gonna run demon camber like this but id love to run hectic offset and the 8-10* neg camber i said i was after.

http://www.stancenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/oni-camber-lexus-ls400-japan-vip-9.jpg

Let me know your thoughts please. Also with cutting the rear fenders to run the rivet on fender flares, how do you go about cutting them back when the rear door is only about 1" -1.5" from the arch?

Cheers guys, i know im asking bout a fairly off the book mod and something that could be fairly hard to achieve. But im keen on trying n thats why i thought going universal fender flares would be a way i can get that look unless just getting full on body work done to get these flares.
When they body work your arches to get that flared lip dont they just add metal to the edge of your stock lip bringing the lip further down n out from its stock shape? hence being the same finish as my first post about bolting your fender flares on at the edge of the stock arch? I meant to say in that first post that you would still roll the arches and pull them as best possible before mounting on the rivet on flared fender arches.
Cheers guys

Varnell

Reaction score
It's been done on Honda's/Acura's and can look great. I don't think the rivet rocket bunny style looks good on our cars, but properly welded on flares with wide wheels look amazing.

sexy10.jpg

sexy11.jpg

sexy06.jpg

38251340001_large.jpg

38251340004_large.jpg

38251340002_large.jpg

I'd advise avoiding this look on our cars, though it looks fine on Subarus:

SLAMMED.jpg

5153389653_5286db7429_b.jpg

White6GAV6

Reaction score
The white car is Elvis Skender's, the owner of StanceNation. His rear fenders are just radiused at that point(i think), and probably pulled a little. Front look like they're just pulled a lot. Radius is when you take the height of the wheel arch and raise it up. Allowing you to go lower and not tuck as much wheel. His car is now blue and has metal flares like the red car you posted. I don't have any direct links, but look up his Instagram (@sn_elvis). He also has photos he takes of other things so you'll have to scroll through. You will be able to see some of the progress pictures of the work the shop did for the flare too, if you go back far enough.

With sedans, it's a lot hard to radius and flare. You have to mess with the door jams and the doors themselves. With the flares there are too ways, either radius them up and then weld on new meal flares, or when you are radiusing the fenders up, don't cut them all the way off and just slice the into sections and pull it out to make the flare you want. But with a sedan you'll need to do the first option of welding on new metal.

When people bolt/river on the flares they usually make it to where the flare arche will be where the stock arch is, and then cut he existing fender up to just below the flare bolts.

Search how to radius fenders or radiusing guards. You can find some stuff about it. Hopefully this all made sense since I'm typing on my phone and not really proof reading anything.

Last edited:

snydas1987

Reaction score
So with the option of adding metal and not radii sing the arch up does that actually bring the arch lower??
Also if I were to go the body shop metal flaring option, what sort of price would I be looking at for all 4 corners, unpainted??
I'm gonna put a pic up of a car running river on fender in the style I like k to see your thoughts on running them please

Back