How to use Seafoam

gt58

Reaction score
my 2 friends got a video. not as much smoke as i thought. it was thick for about a minute then it was moderate for another mile or so. did half the can in the vacuum hose and the other half in the gas tank. put half the bottle in the hose then let it sit for ~25 minutes.

no joke it works man. i notice how smooth the throttle response is. before when i was cruising at 45 mph or so, if i pressed a little harder on the pedal it seems like it wouldnt go anywhere, where as after the sea foam i notice the slightest tap of the gas pedal gives some response. im enjoying it very much. before i was pulling ~300 miles out of my tank in the city, i'll see if theres any gains in mpg.

CUBMAN1018

Reaction score
I've worked at NAPA and Oreillys for a total of 15 yrs, and the no. 1 product I sold was Seafoam. I've used it myself in my 99 Silverado, that was my daily driver for 200k + miles. Used it about every 5k miles, and NEVER had an issue. Now that my '98 accord is my DD, I plan on doing the same thing. I've only put 9k miles on it since I bought in in April.

Varnell

Reaction score
So many conflicting thoughts here.

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-change-oil/

Straight from their mouth. They claim you can leave it in the oil with no consequences. They consider it a long-term and short-term cleaner. My next oil chance is creeping up, and not going to be the guy that tests out leaving it in there.

agginline86

Reaction score
So many conflicting thoughts here.

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-change-oil/

Straight from their mouth. They claim you can leave it in the oil with no consequences. They consider it a long-term and short-term cleaner. My next oil chance is creeping up, and not going to be the guy that tests out leaving it in there.

Seems straight forward. If you leave it in there you're cleaning all the gunk, meaning that gunk is now in your oil instead of being stuck to the wall or whatnot. That's the only downside to leaving it in your crankcase for extended periods of time

mrnude

Reaction score
Seems straight forward. If you leave it in there you're cleaning all the gunk, meaning that gunk is now in your oil instead of being stuck to the wall or whatnot. That's the only downside to leaving it in your crankcase for extended periods of time

seafoamed it last week, did all three including the crank, Changed the oil not long after. I can say it def helped

agginline86

Reaction score
seafoamed it last week, did all three including the crank, Changed the oil not long after. I can say it def helped

I've used it twice since i've owned my car (almost 2 years)
both times I have noticed smoother throttle response

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Wow, lots of praise for seafoam, but it has not worked for me. It has worked for some people, judging by what they say, but I am wondering what it fixed in their cars to make such an improvement??? Do they have any before and after pictures of what it actually fixed??? Here is a little test I did a while ago on a carboned up valve from one of my motorbikes.
Things to consider:
That is neat seafoam, not diluted with fuel.
The valve was in it for 1/2 hour straight, not exposed to it as it flashed by during an intake event.

See the claim on the front of the can - says it is a "CARBON CLEANER" - OK

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
So what that is saying is.. The Seafoam 'smoothes' it over, but does not actually clean it out (as extra manual force is needed to dislodge the particulates)? Probably depending on how heavy the carbon buildup is.. I doubt it's that bad as in picture, in a typical engine. Ive used it religiously, and it works.. Just recently did it on a friend's Ford Explorer and got 1/3 increase in gas mileage and better throttle response! Did it in that same friend's wife's Accord, and a definite improvement.

Last edited:
Back