-=[ CCFL Ftw! ]=-

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Yo,
I heave heard a lot about CCFL tubes, and I would really really like to install one in each headlight, underneath where the parking lights are. I know Icy did this, and probably a few of you have. My concern is how do I hook it up and wire it? I have no knowledge about these systems, and am wondering how it is done.

1) Does the CCFL tube come with a corresponding socket for what you order, like 1157 or whatever [i.e. - if that's the socket I want to put it in.. is that the one I order?]

Or, do I have to wire them in myself?

2)If it is more than plug and play, would someone please briefly explain to me how to do it, and if it is more than can be explained, would it be possible to create a DIY?

Last question,
3) What is the maximal length of a CCFL tube that can fit in the parking light, is it 12"?

Thanks a lot guys!!

PROJECT H

Reaction score
arent those the same ccfl tubes the same ones that you can put in your comp?

nexTOme

Reaction score
you buy those ccfl, and it will come with block(dunno what you call it)

you connect ccfl to this block, and this block has connection to 12v + and -...

but before you do this......you are running risk of catching fire/explosion.....

:skurred:

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
you buy those ccfl, and it will come with block(dunno what you call it)

you connect ccfl to this block, and this block has connection to 12v + and -...

but before you do this......you are running risk of catching fire/explosion.....

:skurred:

fire......explosion...... mine have been in for almost 2 years... my car has yet to explode or catch fire :slap:

nexTOme

Reaction score
fire......explosion...... mine have been in for almost 2 years... my car has yet to explode or catch fire :slap:

i recently came across a computer system, well technically that small box for ccfl burned....it was co-worker's computer, she had it customized it from local shop.

also ive heard many stories.....soo....yeah.....

:slap:

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
^ haha thats awesome.... never had any problems with mine

back on topic......

12'' fits just fine

I wired mine to my parking ligts so that they would come on with out me needing a switch. the transformer looks like this (well mine does) basically the white plug on the wires connects to the transformer...the other end of the wiring hooks up to your 12v source and ground and the cathode tube(s) plug into the opposite side of the transformer
cathode_transformer.jpg

Last edited:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
no clue how common it is, but cathodes do blow. i've seen a few pics of computers that had cathodes that blew and took parts of the computer with it.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
So explosion/damage/fire is a pretty big hazard? I assume it would TOTALLY fk up your headlight if it blew..

Any thought on this Icy?

angelusnhc

Reaction score
it will not blow or catch fire. the worst that will happen is you blow the cathode out. i have them hooked in 2 of my computers that stay on 24/7 and i have them wired into my car and i dont have problems. i say go for it and put the cathodes in. i just think it will be bright as hell. hehehehe. as for the wiring just tap into the parking lights. there is a red and black wire. red is power and black is ground. its simple

Back