Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvtec

Reaction score
Ya same here i use i love mustang but when i got in to imports there was no going back

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Well, I can't honestly say that yet.
There are some nice domestic cars I wouldn't mind owning. Hell, there are some European cars I would like to own but can't afford yet :D

Here's a couple of reasons why I wouldn't mind owning a domestic
Click I
Click II

acrod99

Reaction score
Great Vids! I think the owner of the Vette may need to practice, though! Haha-COUNTERSTEER! COUNTERSTEER!

retroshark

Reaction score
there are plenty of 4 bangers making a lot of power. yes, a lot of performance 4cyl cars are force induced, but as mentioned earlier, skun2 have an acura rsx making 315horses but thats on serious steroids. making that much on a stock il4 from a honda is pretty hard, especially if you want to only stay naturally aspirated.

on the other hand, there are 4cyls making twice that power and they are turbocharged. take the STI/EVO/SRT-4. all 4cylinder cars, all can make upwards of 550 HP with upgraded turbos and various other setups. part of the reason a 4cyl engine in a small car is so great is because we can fit a big turbo in there as well as a bunch of other mods. look under the hood of a v6 6th gen accord... no room for anything there. thats why all the v6 owners go supercharged. its much better usge of space.

personally though, id rather drive a turbocharged accord then a big block mustang GT. im way more impressed by a well tuned and built motor, even if it makes less power.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
True, a 4cyl making 300+ hp and can still be driven on the street is very impressive.
When I first got my Accord and looked under the hood, I was like :eek: There's a lot of room under here.
I had a vid of a Street driven civic hatchback running 11's but I can't find it

Tekmatic

Reaction score
TitaniumACC said:
V8's have a lower power-band, so all the horsepower available at low rpm. But they can't (for almost all V8) rev high like inline4.. V8 have a bigger displacement so a lot lot lot more torque.

You want to know if a 400hp 4cylinder can match a 400hp V8 ? Prolly..

So many factors can make that question hard to answer.. It all depend on power/weight ratio. If you compare a 400hp CRX which weights about 900kg with a 400hp Corvette which weights about 1420kg... you've got your answer!!

Except for the fact that Torque also makes a difference. And the point of peak torque. And the transmission gearing. And the differential gearing.

98AccrdSdn

Reaction score
I happen to drive an '86 Capri 5.0 everyday. I plan on building a stroker for it. And restoring it when Im done with my H22 swap. Its basically a Mustang GT with a bubble hatch. I love the car. I love both my cars. You might be able to build a NA 400hp 4cyl. Or even forced induction. But you still wont have the grunt a V8 has. You wont have the torque. No, they dont rev that high. But just like with imports. You can buy aftermarket pistons, block, etc.,, and you can rev as high as imports. Look at the TransAm series cars. They rev pretty damn high. This whole import/domestic issue is so old. And pointless. If you have a car. Whether its a Civic Si or a 93 Cobra. Instead of saying who's is better. Why not try to see if you can get info from each other. To help improve the performance. There is nothing wrong with owning a domestic. My Capri only went down twice. Once for the starter and once cause I stripped the flywheel doing burnouts. So when it comes to Mustangs at least. I dont know what reliability issues you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back