New Honda owner.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Hey there.

Just purchased my '99 Accord EX sedan, 2.3L Auto. Probably not going to do much in the mods department, since my other car is a Supra Turbo, and is probably already much faster than this Accord is likely to ever be for any reason.

The Accord is a nice all-round vehicle, seems to be all stock. 291,000 km (181,000 miles) so it's been around the block a few times, but is still in fairly good condition, save the passenger side fender and front door, which the previous owner crunched. Part of the reason that I bought it for a fairly low price.

The interior is tan leather, with heated seats that will be very nice this winter, I'm sure.

I'll be headed to a wrecker this weekend to pick up a fender. I came across the forum looking for information on changing the fender out (Found text descriptions, but kind of lacking in photos, so I hope that it's relatively self explanatory.)

I'd like some suggestions as to good repair manuals to buy. Will probably pick up a Haynes because they're readily available and cheap, but they're never all that detailed, and I'd like better.

So far, the ignition switch has been replaced (another reason the car was inexpensive) and a few other minor things here and there have been attended to. (The license plate nuts on the trunk had rusted badly, and tore out while trying to change the plate.)

The car is the black currant pearl colour, which would probably look pretty nice if the clear coat were in better shape. After I replace the fender and fix the door, I may decide to splurge on paint. I might choose a different dark colour at that time, but a colour change paint job is probably more trouble than I'll go to.

The CD player has a disc jammed in it. It's also asking for the security code, which I don't know, so I'm planning to just replace it with aftermarket.

I'm mostly here for maintenance and repair information. This is going to be a daily driver.

That's about it.

For me myself, I do my own automotive work. The engine in the Supra, I built from a bare block up. Forged pistons, shot-peened rods, upgraded single turbo, engine management, fuel system, etc. Powder coated a lot of the visible parts, so it's kind of nice looking, though I was always more concerned with function than appearance.

I used to compete in IASCA SQ stuff with my older Supra, so I know my way around mobile entertainment systems as well. I've done custom fibreglass sub boxes, kickpanels, amp racks as well as security and convenience systems.

Out of the car, I work with computers, and have done a fair amount of DIY electronics projects, including designing and building my own audio amplifiers, speaker systems, and DIY video projectors.

See you around!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome, feel free to post a thread for your Supra in the non-6GA rides section.

If it's the front fender it's just nuts and bolts. The "hardest" part would just be aligning it with the hood, door, and bumper to get a good fit and finish. But it's one of the easier panels to align, plus you are getting an OEM part so that helps already. If it's the rear quarter panel, that's a whole other job...

You could open up the factory head unit and remove the CD, then take it to the dealer to get the code. Or if it's toast get a replacement, which it sounds like that's the direction you're leaning. I'm still using the factory 6-disc changer and use the tape deck to listen to my ipod haha. My only audio upgrade are the rear speakers, grabbed a pair of the Bose 6x9's that were optional on the 1G Acura CL's.

Heated seats are nice, I had to add them to my Accord but I got better seats in the process so it was win-win.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum bruh. I have the hanes manual for the accord. I find myself using it more often than not. It literally tells you how to take apart and reassemble every part of the car except the transmission. Its got all the torque specs and clearances. Its a great pick up but its about 30 dollars last time I checked. I generally go to the manual before the internet for accuracy lol. Anyways hope that helps.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I may start a thread for the Supra, though the Accord has certainly had more of my attention this past month.

I got the fender swapped. Aligning it all was annoying, but not hard. The car is the "Black Currant Pearl" colour, the fender is black. Both car and fender have bad clearcoat, but after having the rocker panel off to get to the fender, at least I can confirm that there's no rust, which is a big load off my mind.

I also got the factory deck out, and installed a single DIN DVD player with bluetooth. It's not a great unit, but it works.

kn0x47

Reaction score
welcome to 6ga!
nice work on building your supra motor. tearing into a motor is the main thing i haven't done yet

Back