jaz

Reaction score
did a search but not really sure what to search for so if this has already been brought up please direct me to the thread, or maybe you can help..

ocansionally when i go to start up my car it turns on... then just seems to stall out and the RPMs just drop to 0 and the car basically just dies i guess. and then i have to try again and just hit the gas and put it into gear making sure the RPMS stay high so it doesnt stall out/die.. is this the alternator? a bad fuel line? i have nooo idea.. maybe if some1 has experience with this to tell me what i need to do/get before my car just wont start... thanks

that1redacc0rd

Reaction score
Re: car stalling out

im no pro, but i wanna guess the Idle Air Control Valve...i have similar problems but it wont die out when i start the car..just when im driving and come to a stop, my RPMs would idle really low and feels like its about to die out on me...and my cars shaking n whatnot..theres a couple DIYs on how to clean your IACV...just a random guess soooooo dont full on take my word for it lol

finch13

Reaction score

Could be a clogged IACV passageway... like 100% clogged. When the throttle plate is closed (no foot on the pedal), air has to get past it somehow for the car to idle. This is what the IACV does, it constantly regulated are passing through it depending on coolant temperature and a bunch of other things.

Could also be a sticking IACV or something similar since it only happens at start up.

Has the ignition switch recall been done to the car yet? Call Honda or register on Honda Owner Link to see what has and hasn't been done.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

You answered your own question in your other thread about your map sensor.

Alternator has almost nothing to do with starting your car. Even if you had a bad alternator, a good battery can keep the car running for a little while. A bad fuel line is unlikely. Gasoline has a lot of cleaners and detergents, it helps keep things very clean.

You need to tell us what exactly you did to your map sensor when you were installing your intake.

Last edited:

jaz

Reaction score

i had this problem before i installed the intake. when i did install the intake and got the engine codes checked they said it was map sensor so i got a new one put in and that didnt do anything. so i returned it and put my old one in

and no i dont think i got the recall for the started ill have to check into that..

EDIT: just checked out owner link, the only recall availiable is for the tranny

Last edited:

atarikid07

Reaction score

I have this problem on my V6. It does it randomly like once a month and when the error code was read out, it gave me something about a misfire. I am going to change my spark plugs and see if that doesn't fix it.

jaz

Reaction score

I have this problem on my V6. It does it randomly like once a month and when the error code was read out, it gave me something about a misfire. I am going to change my spark plugs and see if that doesn't fix it.

lettme know how that works out for you dude.. im sure results wont be right away since the problem doesnt happen all that often but maybe ill have to change plugs as well

stanleybb50

Reaction score

Sounds like a possible distributor going bad...?

I had something similar happen on my CB7 ('91 accord).

If you start it and it like dies and the RPM's drop to "0" quicker than you feel the engine drop to "0" that means the distributor blanked out on you at that moment if that makes sense...

dizzy's are slightly common to go bad on Honda's...

at least check it out -- maybe you could take the dist. cap off and see if you can see behind there... sometimes the seal between the dizzy and the engine goes bad and oil leaks in there...

does it happen more like right after you start it and not so much when its warmed up? sometimes you might get a mis-fire here and there too? been happening a little more often lately?

Cause these are the symptoms i had when my dizzy went bad on my 91 accord...

Just a thought.

Styrofoam_Guy

Reaction score

When does this happen? Starting from a cold engine or starting after the car has run for a while on a hot day?

My car used to do this after driving on a hot day in stop and go traffic and then quickly stopping off at a local mall. When I get back into the car the thing would stall out. To get it going I would have to keep giving it gas and quickly putting it into drive. I have a 2000 V6.

I think the heat is vaporizing the gas in the fuel line. To help prevent this I also use the air conditioning more. I think the air conditioning turns on the rad fan which cools the engine compartment more.

stanleybb50

Reaction score

When does this happen? Starting from a cold engine or starting after the car has run for a while on a hot day?

My car used to do this after driving on a hot day in stop and go traffic and then quickly stopping off at a local mall. When I get back into the car the thing would stall out. To get it going I would have to keep giving it gas and quickly putting it into drive. I have a 2000 V6.

I think the heat is vaporizing the gas in the fuel line. To help prevent this I also use the air conditioning more. I think the air conditioning turns on the rad fan which cools the engine compartment more.

With all due respect, I don't think this would be the cause or the fix... That could be interesting luck that it works as a fix by doing that? I'm not sure... But I just don't want to head him down the wrong road here on a fix for his stalling isse is all.

We could use some more information though like you mentioned...

Back