How to protect the artwork on my hood?

CHID0

Reaction score
Wondering if clear vinyl wrap would be a good solution to pretty much seal my blue taped hood from the elements. Or, should i just take it to a paint shop an have them spray it with clear coat?

Pic of the hood from a while back.
c367ac0b.jpg

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
Wow you still have this... I like it man you did some nice work on it ... and its not out of controll with colors where you don't know where to look. its a nice solid look

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Wondering if clear vinyl wrap would be a good solution to pretty much seal my blue taped hood from the elements. Or, should i just take it to a paint shop an have them spray it with clear coat?

That is tape?

If so, then clear vinyl wrap might be better than clear coat.

CHID0

Reaction score
Wow you still have this... I like it man you did some nice work on it ... and its not out of controll with colors where you don't know where to look. its a nice solid look

Yeah still have it sitting against the wall in my livingroom

That is tape?

If so, then clear vinyl wrap might be better than clear coat.

Yeah, it's blue painters tape with sharpie graphics. You think the wrap would adhere to where I won't get bubbles?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Since it's tape, I feel like clear coat would be the better option. I think it would get in the nooks and crannies that a vinyl wrap may miss (assuming there is some tape overlap thus creating some raised areas, etc). Plus I wouldn’t think the vinyl would provide gloss like the clearcoat would. Course maybe you’re wanting more of a satin finish.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Since it's tape, I feel like clear coat would be the better option. I think it would get in the nooks and crannies that a vinyl wrap may miss (assuming there is some tape overlap thus creating some raised areas, etc). Plus I wouldn’t think the vinyl would provide gloss like the clearcoat would. Course maybe you’re wanting more of a satin finish.

Good point, I was just thinking the clearcoat may have an adverse affect on the tape and/or sharpie ink.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don’t think it would. But I just realized that the vinyl may provide a smoother surface if there are raised areas in the tape, since it is one big sheet that is stretched over the whole thing. I dunno, I’ve never used either, let alone over tape, so I’m not sure if their behavioral properties relative to this situation.

I guess if some texture is desired, cc may be the way to go? And if you want the whole thing to be smooth to the touch, perhaps vinyl…

Think I’ve raised more questions than answers…lol

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I think we've covered the potential issues that he might have with either.

Perhaps the decision is more easily made, now?

:inouteek:

Back