Recalibrating gauge needles...without the proper tools.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of threads about taking the needles off the gauge cluster and people think it is a disaster to get them back. It can be, especially if you are not careful. With the proper tools, it is easy. You can buy one of these and not have any issues: http://www.google.com/#q=obd+ii+dat...&resnum=3&ved=0CD8QrQQwAg&fp=c72bee5a4a93f9a3

If you don't want to shell out that kind of money and this is a one time thing, I can give you some tips.

Read carefully:

Temp gauge: Drive your car until it is fully warmed up. With your car on, mark where the needle is pointing at. I used white out, but any mark that is easily removed will work. A pencil can work, etc. Make sure you can get it off.

When you need to put it back on, drive your car and make sure it is fully warmed up. Put the needle back on while the car is still on, with the needle pointing at your mark. This is the easy one.

Gas Gauge:
Mark where your current fuel level is. Don't drive AT ALL while you do the work you need to do with the needle off. Place it pointing the mark you make. Leave the clear plastic panel off and go though a tank of gas. If it reads properly, you are good. If it does not, when you fill your tank, move it to full. Hopefully it reads empty when you are done. If not, try again. Repeat until you get it right. This took me about 5 tanks to get perfect.

Speedometer Gauge: After you have taken it off and done what you need to do, put the needle right under the plastic piece that is the stopper. Then, pull it over without removing the needle. Go to your nearest "speed sign" and verify. I am talking about the radar things that list your speed. Try to go to 3-4 because they are not accurate enough to trust one. If they all are correct, you are good. If not, try again. A datalogger makes this much easier however as it should show your exact speed because it is going off your car's speed sensor. I was able to do without this.

Tachometer Gauge:
Mark your idle speed when warmed up. When replacing the needle, warm your car up 100%, put needle to that marker. Note: do this after you do your gas gauge.. Redline your car, see if it hits the limiter at the right point. Hopefully it does. If not, you can redline your car and place the needle. Obviously, do this when parked, not driving. Don't be on the rev limiter for long periods of time, and don't be surprised if neighbors are very confused. Make sure the needle goes down to your idle mark (car must be warmed up). If it works, you are good, if not, try again. This is the other gauge where a data logger really helps.

I take no responsibility if you mess up your gauges. This is just to help if you don't want to shell out the money for a data logger. A data logger helps tremendously and ensures accuracy, I recommend buying one or borrowing one over my technique. If you don't have the money or access to one, this is how I got my gauges accurate.

Results may vary

Snoobly

Reaction score
good instructions! :thumbup:, but shouldn't this be in the DIY forum?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice summary, and good place to start for people who do not have a datalogger or want to pay for one. Have you thought about adding an explanation as to how the needles are actually removed? Yeah they pull off, but it's tough and people are always afraid of breaking them so if you had a good technique that worked it may be worth including here. Also I heard you don't want to turn the speedo needle or let it "wind down", is that true? And are the needles just replaced by pushing them in? I just think adding these details would make this thread the definitive guide to needle removal and replacement. Either way, thanks for posting this!

I guess it's obvious, but I'll point out that when using the speed traps to calibrate the speedo, make sure you are cruising at speed before you get to the trap, and not accelerating to it as you pass the trap. And this is a much better method than using a GPS, since it's delayed.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Nice summary, and good place to start for people who do not have a datalogger or want to pay for one. Have you thought about adding an explanation as to how the needles are actually removed? Yeah they pull off, but it's tough and people are always afraid of breaking them so if you had a good technique that worked it may be worth including here. Also I heard you don't want to turn the speedo needle or let it "wind down", is that true? And are the needles just replaced by pushing them in? I just think adding these details would make this thread the definitive guide to needle removal and replacement. Either way, thanks for posting this!

For removing the needles, use a fork and gently pry up in the same fashion you would use a crow bar, but be very easy on the pressure. Works every time and will not damage the needle. Replacement is just pushing back in.

Another hint. You can drill out the little plastic that holds the black plastic to the clear needle. What this allows you to do is remove the needle without the metal pin. Hard to explain without pictures but if you have yours off, you can see what I am talking about. Then when you ever want to remove your needles/or faces...no need to recalibrate your needles.

PlowingLeaves!

Reaction score
Ok I did this and all my gauges are were working like they should. Then one day my speedo gauge started acting up. Not reading speed right and stopping then jumping up as I accelerated.

Now it won't even go all the way down unless I tap on the plastic piece. I did exactly as the thread says. Any help or suggestions would be great because it's very difficult driving and not knowing how fast you are going.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok I did this and all my gauges are were working like they should. Then one day my speedo gauge started acting up. Not reading speed right and stopping then jumping up as I accelerated.

Now it won't even go all the way down unless I tap on the plastic piece. I did exactly as the thread says. Any help or suggestions would be great because it's very difficult driving and not knowing how fast you are going.

You may want to gently pry up the needle, just slightly, as it may be hitting the gauge. Even a slight amount of contact really causes issues. That would be my guess, given that it jumps around, and will not go back down to zero. If not, it may need replacement.

PlowingLeaves!

Reaction score
You may want to gently pry up the needle, just slightly, as it may be hitting the gauge. Even a slight amount of contact really causes issues. That would be my guess, given that it jumps around, and will not go back down to zero. If not, it may need replacement.
Thank you! I will try that

Back