Modding RSX decklid spoiler

KnightRyder

Reaction score
I've been hunting for a good decklid spoiler to mod to fit my trunk for over a year now since i want something bolder than the traditional m3/m5 lips. my first 2 attempts at this project failed as you may or may not remember. first attempt was with a Spoon TSX spoiler which was about .5 inch too short and the front to back curvature was off quite a bit so i sold it to a friend at a $30 loss. then my 2nd attempt was with an 8th gen civic sedan decklid spoiler. length was way short, the angles on the ends needed a little correcting and the front to back curvature was way off so i tried selling it and i couldnt so i ended up hacking the hell out of it and extending it but that turned into a nightmare project because it require so much work so i trashed it after spending $80 on the spoiler (or more, cant remember) and many hours hacking it.

gave up for a while until i saw the RSX decklid spoiler but i didnt want to jump into it almost blind like i did the first 2 times since money is tight now-a-days. i lucked out when Kevin (SleeperCell) had a friend who had an RSX spoiler laying around waiting to be installed on an RSX so he took some test fit pics and the length is about .5inch too long but the front to back curvature was as close as it was ever going to be from an unmodified spoiler not made for our cars. so after seeing his pics he sent me, i bit the bullet for a 3rd time, another $80. and i got the spoiler a few days ago and unfortunatley the spoiler i bought wasnt quite as perfect fitting as the one in the pic he sent me so i tried returning it but cant but luckily i think this is my best bet. i guess the sellers on ebay have slight variations. mine is curved a little too much front to back.

This spoiler is SOLID abs plastic so that means i can cut and grind away as much material as i want and not have to worry about hitting a hollow area. so i started tackling the project today...

before...
4ac58fd1.jpg

after... (almost there)
e1d94521.jpg

before...
42b54566.jpg

after... (rough shape)
f559c8fb.jpg

before...
b06ca533.jpg

after... (rough shape)
88c63548.jpg

length before...
c2f820af.jpg

length after... (rough shape)
62c0ff92.jpg

side view... (rough fit) might need to refill areas where i removed too much, we'll see later.
342d6191.jpg

slight gap from a little lifting near the end, will try my best to fix that. easy way out would be just to let the tape hold it down but i want to minimize the gap as much as i can to reduce pulling on the tape.
57f8eb73.jpg

86df7fcd.jpg

the really hard part... i may reshape the entire corner of the spoiler to flow with the body line/roof spoiler but its going to require me to remove a LOT of material and i dont know what all that cutting will do to the look of the top of the spoiler... still iffy on if im gonna attempt this part of the modding or not.
5520d2a2.jpg

estimate of the how the new shape could be if i do it... yellow line is the body line to the left of the tail light, blue line is the curve of the roof spoiler.
c508516d.jpg

almost there, minor adjustments and it'll be good to go..
7e5aa40b.jpg

e6e3fddf.jpg

further back...
b05a1ed7.jpg

from the other side...
fdf45033.jpg

im trying to get this project done by next weekend in time for Acurafest but i think i may be pushing my luck with that seeing how much more work would be required if i attempted the reshaping on the ends. not to mention paint. and if you look at a side profile shot, see how theres a slight dip in the middle the entire length of the back of the spoiler, i may fill that in and make it straight. afterall, the 6gen coupe is pretty edgy in the back.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Reshaping the corners would be a lot of work, and even more difficult to make sure they're symmetrical. I don't think it looks bad rounded out, but I know you're a perfectionist.

Subscribed. :)

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i can make it pretty symmetrical by using a template like the one i made to shape the underside of the area i grinded down. i took a piece of cardboard and traced the shape of the trunk, popped the truck open and used the edge. then i used that cardboard cutout to hold again the underside of the spoiler to make sure it fit properly after i cut away some of the material.

i can make a similar stencil after completing one side and flip it and use it to form the other side but i know what you mean. its going to be damn hard to make it PERFECT. i may draw out a grid on the spoiler on top and match it to the other side. i've got a couple ideas on how to obtain symmetry but it WILL be a lot of work.

kn0x47

Reaction score
reshaping the sides would look a lot better i think. thats a lot of work tho. good luck

Namboyz

Reaction score
awesome diy. goodluck bro! im glad i came across this thread cause i was also contemplating about trying the 08 civic one.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
wow man a lot of work, it would look better if you rounded the ends to flow. I know thats going to be a lot of work though. But it's going to look great either way man.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
did a little more work today. got the length and curvature dialed in and minimized the lifting on the sides as much as i could. now i need to find my sanding block and hand sand all the areas i was grinding with my dremel to smooth it out. then comes the hard part of changing the shape on the side. i'll attempt that tomorrow maybe.

need to find a laser line to help me correctly draw my guide lines to make the big cuts.

Back