Down but never out

Brad2274

Reaction score
ive dying waiting to know how this would come out and it's perfect like i thought it would be :drool: cant wait to see what you do about trim colors like the wheels and such.
The way your car looks with the light directly on it reminds me of my custom pearl paint(i dont remember the name of the color lol) when its outside, almost a sun burnt copper scarlet but then looks dark red when in the shade
IMG_0468.jpg

except with everything you're doing yours will look 100x better than mine :lawl:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
more progress...

Doors bolted back up and aligned.

This used to be an EVO 9 CF roof cap made by NRG but the previous owner thought it wise to ignore half the installation instructions and only used 3m tape to hold it on when it said the 3M tape is supposed to be used in conjunction with silicone... anyways, he learned his lesson, the roof flew off and was damaged beyond repair... one mans trash is another mans treasure... this worked out great for me since i didnt pay anything for this, i cut it up into 4 to use as samples for what comes next.

my CF hood and trunk being wetsanded/blocked/reshaped. damn outdated VIS molds leave a lot of uneven surfaces so we took the time to block it down smooth and at the same time as you see here, he is reshaping that side of the trunk because it used to rub against my tail light... not a fitment issue since the other side was perfect, its a manufacturing issue, the angle wasnt correct. he straightened it out.

before i go on, a quick explanation of the paint used throughout the process...
The body of the car is painted with PPG Envirobase paint (water based) but unfortunately, water based paints dont mix with clear... which is what i wanted done to "ghost" my CF pieces using the actual paint instead of using a (House of Kolor aka $$$ paint) Kandy paint and trying to blend it with non Kandy body. So just for the CF pieces, we switched to Valspar paint which is solvent based and DOES mix with clear. we kind of just guessed the ratio at 8ounces of clear to 1 ounce color and just layered it up multiple times to achieve the desired look. 2 medium coats of clear were sprayed on everything afterwards to mimic the final outcome.

should looks familair. just normal CF:
0 layers of paint, 2 layers of clear

2 layers of color, 2 layers of clear

4 layers of color, 2 layers of clear

6 layers of color, 2 layers of clear (My favorite)

Side by side comparison of all 4 pieces.

i have yet to see these in the sun since they were just sprayed today and it was cloudy/rainy. so once i see them in the sun, i'll make my final choice but im already leaning toward the 6 layer version because IMO it's the closest match to the full painted body and still allows me to see enough of the CF to make it noticeably tinted.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Those must be super light coats to be 6 layers of color, that looks really good man. Wherever this ends up, it will be such nice detail.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
yea they are, in order to be as even as possible, he has to mist the paint on from twice as far away than if he was just painting it solid. plus the color is thinned out significantly with 8 ounces of clear for 1 ounce of color. important part is that we measured everything and recorded it all so now he can replicate this effect on the real pieces easily.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
It's projects like these that will always inspire CG owner's to see the potential in their cars.

Love the paint colour, Vimal.

Appreciate you sharing the updates.

FNCONE

Reaction score
I love what you're doing with the carbon. I cant wait to see this finished. Whenever i re-do my paint (which is NEEDED) i want to find a shop that does quality work with the customer likes yours.

Back