DTC 1705 lost 1st and 4th Help Please!

TreyJ30A1

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 99 v6 ex auto tranny. A couple weeks ago all of a sudden I lost 1st and 4th gears while I was driving. No grinding, slipping, hard shifts, noise or anything. I stopped the car, shut it off, and reset the computer by removing my battery cables. As soon as I hooked it back up everything went back to normal for about 3 miles then the same thing happened again. My D4 light started flashing and D2 is constantly on. No amount of shifting changes this. It's throwing a hard code DTC p1705. This is a gear position switch code. I bought a new switch and put it in and it did not fix the problem. I followed the "mercks and all manuals" (I think that's what it's called it's a very expensive diagnostic program I borrowed from a drive ability mechanic) procedure and found that when I checked the d9 and b20/22 for voltage my d3 and d2 positions were off. But I need another PCM to continue the diagnosis( which I don't have). I also found out through Honda that the PCM-fi(fuel injection relay) sometimes sticks on and throws this code so I replaced it and that didn't work either. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Idk what your saying.

Honda manual for codes gives you instructions by step. What's your process.

TreyJ30A1

Reaction score
Ok sorry I'm not a mechanic but I'm trying to learn. I had to give that program back to my buddy who lent it to me. Basically this program walked me through checking the voltage on the wires coming from my transmission to my PCM. For example, one step would be check the b20/22 wires(grounds) with the d9 wire on the p16 connector. Every gear should light up except d3. Well every light lit up except d2 instead. That's when it said substitute a known good PCM and retry the test. Only I can't get my hands on one unless I fork out 350$. I've already spent over 200$ trying to fix this and want to avoid any further damage to my wallet. Please keep asking questions, I will take any advice/help I can get.

TreyJ30A1

Reaction score
I've had a lot of people tell me the transmission is shot. I just don't believe it, this has to be some type of electrical problem.

TreyJ30A1

Reaction score
Ok, it keeps showing dtc (diagnostic trouble code) p1705 (short in range switch to ground). I found a thread where the guy had similar issues and it was a blown fuse. I found that fuse in my car and it was blown. So I replaced it and reset my computer and turned the car back on but the problem is still there.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Ok is fuse reblown? Where is short?

At switch DVOM to continuity, 'beeps', one prob on ground, one on switch and harness, switch gears, and wires, any beeps manual don't say BAD!

If all good then ecm dead!

Back