4AT or 5MT

datechboss101

Reaction score
From June, my commute will be consisting of roughly 240 miles on Florida's Turnpike (speeds up to 70 MPH) for the next 4 years. So should I keep the 4AT or convert it to the 5MT? And if I do go with the 5MT, where should I source the Manual transmission and clutch pedal from?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The highway gas mileage isn't gonna change much if at all. The only thing the manual does is make the car quicker, more fun to drive, and less desirable for a dumb thief to steal because they can't drive a manual tranny.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^and more reliable.

I wouldn't mess with it unless the auto is dying or you want the car to be more fun.

datechboss101

Reaction score
^and more reliable.

I wouldn't mess with it unless the auto is dying or you want the car to be more fun.
I'm waiting for the auto tranny to go, so I can have excuse to do a MT conversion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

capsidx

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the auto tranny to go, so I can have excuse to do a MT conversion.

Said every accord owner ever lol. I had my excuse but it lead to an addiction I now can not control. Once you complete that one big mod, its really hard to stop.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Said every accord owner ever lol. I had my excuse but it lead to an addiction I now can not control. Once you complete that one big mod, its really hard to stop.
I got plans for a project car, it might not be my daily driver, lol.

capsidx

Reaction score
My project car is my DD and it sees a lot of downtime for repairs and mods. Dont be an idiot like me and just go pick up another car lol. If you want to mod the CG platform get another cg and modify that and keep lucky as your DD because you know its condition, who drove it its whole life and what accidents/ conditions its been driven under. The other car... not so much so you can get that car a new motor etc.

gabcauseican

Reaction score
lol i wanna jump in...5 speed....project cars are fun but they do see alot of downtime.... but like capsidx said.......once you start........you will never stop....its a passion......some get it.....some just dont....

capsidx

Reaction score
Agreed. The only thing that stops most of us is money. Unless you're rich like sketch05 and redryder :lawl:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score

Honestly, I'd keep the car AT even if the trans does take a crap. It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run to just replace it with another one (a good used JDM AT is about 600 plus shipping). That's the plan I have for my wife's car (an 00 Accord with AT). She likes the car, so I'm not going to mess with it, other than fix what breaks.
And I do have to agree with Nam, the fuel mileage won't change that much. Going to a 5 speed might even cause it to drop, due to more throttle usage. ;)

Last edited:
Back