Changing Salvage Title to Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
hey guys i just found out some info from my friend and i'm not sure if this is true (its my first time hearing this)

he stated something that you can change your car's title from salvage to a clean title if you show them (DMV??) that you repair everything?

is this even true? i always thought once a car has a salvage title no matter what or how you fix it like brand new, the salvage title stays?

thanks for your input

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
but can you do this? i don't wanna go into the DMV wait awhile and look like a fool asking them about this haha, anybody else know if this is possible?

cajun

Reaction score
The title rules vary by state, but I doubt you can convert a salvage back to clean in any state. In AL if you get it inspected by a state official you can get a "rebuilt" title, which allows you to put it back on the road - still not "clean."

OTOH, a car's title can get washed from salvage to clean by crossing the right state lines. I looked at a craigslist car a few months ago. The owner had a clean TN title in hand. When I looked it up on Autocheck I found that it had started in NJ, picked up a salvage title at some point, got auctioned in AZ and then later auctioned in TN.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll have a rebuilt salvage title, but yes, it's totally possible.

A car can get a salvage title for several reasons and still be fixable but the insurance company doesn't see it as being cost effective to fix, so they total it out.

Example: 93 Civic hatch with 280k on the odo but has a built B series under the hood and overall clean car. Get's into an accident. Needs...core support, hood, headlight, fender, etc. They'll total it, you buy it back, fix it for a lot less, and it's perfectly fine. But it would still need inspected by the state patrol.

Last edited:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
Yes... my cb7 had a salvage title. Its a fee at the dmv for state inspection thats $100. you have to take the car to a garage and if it passes regular inspection, then it qualifies for the DOT inspection which is a totally different inspection station (they have like 10 in every state so prepare to drive far) where they inspect it and issue it a new vin. You will never get the original vin tho. My new vin was NYS67508. that is the one they issue the car saying that it was cleared by the department of transportation.

the process is pretty easy but patience is the key. Mine took 3 months before i got the ok to go to the DOT inspection station

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I doubt it can be changed.
Regardless of the work that may have been done, under the VIN, it's still labeded as a salvage.
I mean, if that's the case people would by junked or totaled cars, fix them up and sell them with a clean title.
In the State of New Jersey, once a title has a S (salvage) on it, it cannot be reversed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back