Trunk Release Relay

Solidus

Reaction score
I have a 99 coupe. For the longest time my trunk only opens like 10% of the time when using the wireless remote trunk release button. Opens 100% when using inside cabin lever. I have reset remote, bought new remote, and replaced the latch.

I need a definite answer on how to fix this.
What could the issue be?
Where is the trunk relay specifically? It is said to be under either the hood or driver side kick panel?

Someone please help. I have researched this extensively and found no answers.

My last option would be to bring it to the dealer.

Solidus

Reaction score
Where is the receiver? Could that be bad?

I'm not to sure where the receiver is. It could be a possibility but I don't think it would be the receiver because the doors unlock and lock 100% of time using the wireless remote. So that rules reciever out? Yes?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'm not to sure where the receiver is. It could be a possibility but I don't think it would be the receiver because the doors unlock and lock 100% of time using the wireless remote. So that rules reciever out? Yes?

Unless there is a separate receiver (or sensor in the receiver) for the trunk release, I do not know.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Did the trunk latch include the solenoid part? That is most likely the issue. Check to see if the trunk latch works 100% of the time with the trunk open. It should make a noise so you can tell.

Is the pull lever for the trunk hard to pull?

There is a relay just like for the door locks, but they generally don't fail intermittently.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
Do you press and let go of the button or hold it down for a second? If you press and let go then there's your problem

Solidus

Reaction score
Unless there is a separate receiver (or sensor in the receiver) for the trunk release, I do not know.

From the little info i was able to find. The trunk release is intertwined with the Honda stock alarm system just as the lock and unlock are. I have the stock alarm. Ill see if i can find anything of a separate receiver but to my knowledge there is only 1.

Solidus

Reaction score
Did the trunk latch include the solenoid part? That is most likely the issue. Check to see if the trunk latch works 100% of the time with the trunk open. It should make a noise so you can tell.

Is the pull lever for the trunk hard to pull?

There is a relay just like for the door locks, but they generally don't fail intermittently.

The trunk latch does have the solenoid and the solenoid works 100% of time when connected to separate power source. The solenoid does not work 100% of the time when connected to stock trunk components due to what i believe is a lack of positive current flowing to it from the battery every time i push the button but instead receives the current only sometimes. Thats why im thinking its the relay for the trunk specifically but which one?

The lever inside the vehicle is not hard to pull at all.

Back