valves can't be adjusted properly after valve job

walsead

Reaction score
Okay, I may be on to something here, but I need some backup.... (The specific rocker arm I am having trouble with is named the "primary rocker arm" and I will refer to it as such from now on.)

After trying to puzzle my way through this I tried just thinking about it critically. There is obviously something exerting either an unwanted or an excess amount of downward force on that rocker arm. And it must be a force that exists accross all cylinders (since I am experiencing the same issue on each cylinder.) After wasting hours of time that I should be working, I think I am narrowing down the likely excuse.

The primary rocker arm has a small plate on the top of it called a timing plate (item #13 in the picture referenced below.) That timing plate has a small spring (item 14 in the picture) that is installed in such a way (on my car at least) that it is exerting downward force on the timing plate, which is then pushinv the primary rocker arm down as well.

My best guess is that I somehow screwed up the positioning of the timing spring such that it is either exherting force in the wrong direction (ie it should be holding the timing plate UP rather than forcing it DOWN) or I have it wound too tightly, such that it is exherting too much downward force. Anyone know the propper positioning of this spring/plate? That seems to be the thing that could be responsible for downward force on the primary valve of each cylinder (and if I screwed it up for one, chances are I screwed it up for all...)

Picture link absent the "www" to get by the mods rules: hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/Catimgs-201411/S843E1201.gif

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I thought those timing springs (#14 and #4) were to hold the rocker arms. Since on the rods, they could 'float', or wiggle around, so the job is only to hold them with a set force.

What does the timing plate (#13) hook to on the bottom? The top it hooks to the rocker arm (#1 for assembly w/ VTEC)...but why?

Anyway, it should push the rockers up or down, up is the valve spring, down is the cam. The timing spring should just push them together. I think...

walsead

Reaction score
#4 does is there to space them in just that way, it keeps the exhaust side rocker arms separated. But #14, isn't there to exhert force leterally (since the space is almost entirely taken up by three separate rocker arms and the timing plate.) #14 exherts a clockwise rotational force about the rod (if you're looking at if from the driver side.)

I have been looking through other forums and I found the following diagram (again with the "www" absent.):

hondaaccordforum.com/forum/attachments/general-tech-help-7/12949d1394421005-vtec-synchronizing-pin-timing-plate-rocker-arm-piston-timing-plate-reassembly.jpg

If you look at the bottom diagram (step 6), it appears as though the timing plate has a small hook on the bottom that rests on a post to prevent it from rotating too far and thereby pressing the primary rocker arm down. I will have to wait until I get home tonight, but I am pretty sure that mine are not hooked on that post and are thus allowed to continue to rotate downward beyond where they would normally be stopped. This would result in the timing plate pushing the rocker arm too far down onto the valve.

I should know in a few hours if I am correct. (fingers crossed....)

walsead

Reaction score
Success!! I wanted to post a final update to this thread so anyone who has a similar problem gets the resolution.

As the diagram above showed, the little hook on the bottom of the timing plate needed to be in front of the post coming off the mounting bracket. So when I went back and took the rocker arm assembly off the car, I found that I had assembled each of the timing plates such that the hook was BEHIND that post, and thus not held back from pushing the primary rocker arm down to the valve. The picture below indicates the WRONG way to have the timing plates positioned.

tinypic.com/r/mk99v4/8

The picture below shows the propper way to position the timing plate.

tinypic.com/r/juwdo4/8

As you can see, that little post keeps the timing plate from pushing your primary rocker arm down too far onto the valve. Once I restrained the timing plates like correctly, everything fit together just right.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the two days I spent banging my head against the wall on this.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Wow! Nice find!

I missed that too, normally I try to be 'the answer guy', never pulling a sohc VTEC head apart probly got me caught there!

Well I'm glad it didn't cause a valve to bend, I've worked on a D15B2 head with a bent valve from hazardous assembly where a rocker arm was off (it is very difficult to pull a valve where the top is bent :/ ).

Back