Alt bolt broke off in block.. ideas to get it out?

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Alt bolt snapped yesterday while I was driving. It seems to be seized into the mounting block. I've tried pretty much everything but heat to get it. Broke a million drill bits trying to drill it for a bolt extractor, even broke the extractor. So I'm open to ideas. Picture below.

altbolt.jpg

mraw112

Reaction score
It looks like its sticking out alittle. If so you could try welding something on it and rotating it. I broke an oil pan bolt in my block over the summer and it was not fun. The whole bolt was stuck in there. I had to get a die grinder and grind the whole bolt out, then drill a over sized hole, the tap it. If you cant get it out use a dremel with aluminum oxide cone. those screw extractors are crap.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
holy crap man. I guess we shud start using anti seize on our bolts. I would just try what everyone above me recommended. I had this happen to me on a bolt, but it was on my exhaust flange. I just hammered it out and re tapped it. But don't do that lol...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Im interested in how it broke off just from driving?
If I knew I would tell you. But I kid you not I was driving down the road heard a huge bang then all my lights came on. Got home the bolt was snapped off in the block and the mounting bracket was cracked.
weld a nut to the end....turn it out....your a welder
Been pondering the idea, just it's so close to the aluminum it worries me. The wire touches the aluminum say bye bye.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I was gonna say find a shop with a manual cole drill to remove broken studs and bolts from engine blocks. But I dont see how u could angle one in there. Its pretty tight.

Why don't you try going to a metals shop to see if they have anything? Obviously you can't drive your car, so that's kind of a bust...But you can always get advice.

If your block wasnt aluminum I would say heat it up with a torch, allow the bolt to expand, then drill it out while its nice and hot. But since it's so close, I dunno bro.

Last edited:
Back