Car doesn't start in the heat.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Ok, so here's what I know.

- I get up and go to work at 5am (fairly cool outside) car starts fine
- I leave the car sitting in the heat outside work ( 90+ degrees)
- I go outside to leave... unlock the car, turn the key and CLICK.... nothing. -- The lights and all in dash display goes off like the battery is dead, but the motor isn't able to turn over due to power loss.
- If I go disconnect the positive and negative terminals, and then reconnect...BAM the car starts fine.

Here's what I've checked.
- Corrosion on battery
- lead grounds
- Also, when I put my key on acc, my voltmeter reads power at 12.5v which is plenty to start'er up.

I have no ideas. I'm lost. Anything would be great. My logic tells me that the heat has something to do with it, because this only happens after the car is sitting in the heat or is hot. It hasn't happened once when it's cool.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
no CEL? ... my girl's sister had a similar problem ... threw a eng. coolant temp sensor CEL ... i don't understand it but it turned out she had a bad battery ... so i think you should take it to your local autoparts and have it checked properly, they check it under under load and junk ... if all fails, check that eng. coolant temp sensor

dadams

Reaction score
you could have an electrical leak.
batt cable might have a short in it.

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
you should try changing the main fuel pump relay and clean up your battery terminals.

Last edited:
Back