Knock sensor/Limpmode

NewGuy845

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my car just had the head replaced and did the head gasket as I was putting everything back together I broke the knock sensor being that I'm learning as I go I figured I'll be ok till I pick one up in the morning but as I was heading to AZ I saw that in first gear the car wouldn't go past 4000 rpm and when I put it in second gear and hit the gas the car will feel like it hesitates to go and won't go past 4000 rpm. When I checked the CEL codes the codes for misfire in #1 #2 & #3 and obviously the knock sensor code & the vtec system malfunction. I believe the vtec system malfunction is do to vtec wire not being connected. I bought the car in October and I just started messing with it. I'm hoping once I connect the vtec and put in the new knock sensor that my problem will be solved. Would appreciate all the help I can get please and thank you.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
No knock sensor as you broke it, your Vtec is not even connected.... Your car sir, is in limp mode and for good reason.

Why are you trying to take your car past 4k when you know it's hurt and needs work? That is just asking for a new engine, I get it you are new with cars and you are here to learn that is fine.

The misfire can be caused by a few reasons, but you need to fix the other two first and then address the misfire issue which could be something as simple as spark plugs, distributor and or wire leads to the plugs themselves and so on.

Reset your ECU after replacing everything and drive for quite a few miles and see if you are throwing any codes then and readdress if need be.

NewGuy845

Reaction score
Honestly I was told it didn't matter if the vtec was hook up and basically was told the same thing about the knock sensor but I haven't drove it since I noticed what was happening. As for the spark plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, and the coil pack is all new. I read basically all threads about my problem and I'm sure it's cause of the knock sensor and vtec. Thanks

Back