How to tint the back lights..DIY

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
jonhuynh said:
I tinted my tail lights a couple a months ago, it looked great when I did it. But then I ran into a problem. The tint faded away! In about a month, all the tint had faded and returned back to the red. Did I do something wrong? I sprayed about 3 coats. I didn't want them to be too dark so I stopped and the right darkness. And I did put clear coat on top too if you were wondering. Could anybody help me out? I'm planning to do it again but I want to make sure it stays tinted! :confused:
what brand did you use? and welcome...feel free to make a thread under general chat > introduce yourself :)

im scared every time a cop gets behind me with tinted tails :(

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
You should only need about a half of a can.......but at least you'll have extra!!!! The stuff actually works really good on plastic. Being that I have a black car, I have actually used it to paint some plastic parts black. You have to use a few coats, but the finnish is lovely.

jonhuynh

Reaction score
Thans for the welcome Ryan S :D

I used the Pactra that I got from a local hobby shop. Same brand for the clear coat too. Nobody else has had any problems?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
np man :)

prep and environment play huge roles in painting, so it wasnt like 40 degrees or humid when you did them?

jmiller is right about other uses...i did the amber strips in my headlights completely dark, and lightly tinted the ambers on my retro set. you can also tint your emblems or anything shiny :)

steadypimpin

Reaction score
JMillerF23A1 said:
You should only need about a half of a can.......but at least you'll have extra!!!! The stuff actually works really good on plastic. Being that I have a black car, I have actually used it to paint some plastic parts black. You have to use a few coats, but the finnish is lovely.
I bought 3 because I didnt know how much I might need. Plus my boy wants me to do his. I also ordered extra since I couldnt find any of it around my hood so I figured if I had to order online, I might as well get extra just in case.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
steadypimpin said:
I bought 3 because I didnt know how much I might need. Plus my boy wants me to do his. I also ordered extra since I couldnt find any of it around my hood so I figured if I had to order online, I might as well get extra just in case.

I have like two cans laying around too. It's good to have on hand for when you decide you just want to tint ****.

Back