Bogs down, sudden jump in RPM's, repeat.

therealdeeej

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum and to Honda all together. Not very long ago my fiance and I got her a v6 Accord to use as a commuter car. Well, for a while everything was great minus a couple engine codes all leading to a bad catalytic converter.
At the time finances were very rough and aside from simple routine maintenance we simply could not afford to fix it.
Anyways, recently it started doing something odd. When I was driving at around 65 or so mph, it started bogging down as if I let off the throttle, then all of a sudden it would jump in RPM's and accelerate, cruise for a bit then just repeat it. It really only did it when we were driving it for a long time. Unfortunately we were in Dallas and couldn't fix it until we got back. So I went and got a new catalytic converter welded on (magnaflow), and replaced both O2 sensors. The car ran great for a couple days, and then started doing the same exact thing, only now it's worse. It does it even in the low gears. The bank 1 O2 sensor threw a code, but that was the only one.

I realized that the air intake tube was torn at the throttle body, so today I replaced it (OEM Honda), and no difference at all.

What do I do?

therealdeeej

Reaction score
I should mention also, that when the car gets hot, after I turn it off (maybe while it's running too) smoke comes out where the heat shield is. I can't really tell if it's exhaust smoke, or if the valve cover gasket is so bad it's leaking down and burning the oil.

rooky

Reaction score
Welcome, you have to first check for any vacuum leak, check the IAC valve, the throttle body and intake for sludge build up. As for the oil burning near heat shield upload a pic because I don't want to make wrong assumption.

therealdeeej

Reaction score
Throttle body did not have build up, but I did clean it earlier. Intake tube is new and filter isn't too old either. I will upload a picture of that later.

rooky

Reaction score
OK maybe someone on here will shoot you a more precise answer later on if I'm asleep.

RawCarnage

Reaction score
I should mention also, that when the car gets hot, after I turn it off (maybe while it's running too) smoke comes out where the heat shield is. I can't really tell if it's exhaust smoke, or if the valve cover gasket is so bad it's leaking down and burning the oil.

seafoam would be good for looking for exhaust leaks. Also is there oil stains near the valve cover exhaust side?

james'99

Reaction score
When you say RPMs jump, was the transmission slipping and grabbing? Or downshifting? Trying to understand all this.

Back