Transmission cooler DIY installation Four cylinder F23A

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
whats the point of a transmission cooler... tranny fluid flows through the radiator.... already

You mean it flows through that little peice of plastic housing at the bottom of the radiator. Lol.

I would of done this too but I just went manual instead

Nice write up tho, I still have my tranny lines coming from the radiator when i was auto magic

KSKENE247

Reaction score
You mean it flows through that little peice of plastic housing at the bottom of the radiator. Lol.

I would of done this too but I just went manual instead

Nice write up tho, I still have my tranny lines coming from the radiator when i was auto magic

Haha I didn't know it only went through the bottom. I'm a moto guy and used to put oil coolers on air cooled bikes. But at first didn't see the point here.
good write up though.. Doesn't look too tough

KSKENE247

Reaction score
the reason our transmission's always fail is lack of cooling. the radiator's self cooling only brings down the temperature maybe 20-25 degrees tops! if that...When you add a full load such as A/C with stop and go traffic, high revving and irregular up and downshifting between stops, the radiators POS cooling system fails to cool off the fluid adequatley thus resulting in your transmission fluid burning turning black failing to lubricate and shift. eventually your transmission will start slipping and then your f**ked on the side of the road having to deal with the hills have eyes mechanics! it's cheap insurance, especially if you got a v6. then you will end up like all the people who post ten thousand threads about their tranny about to go and if they should replace a solenoid. when in reality your tranny is shot!

Haha I have an auto i4 and my tranny is on it's last limbs.. I wish I new about this before

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Hey Thx for the diy. I installed my tranny cooler today, exactly how you showed it on your diy. Except i used the zip ties provided in the kit. I gotta say it came out really good. It even helped cover up my 2-1 thump. I barely feel it when slowing down now, still there but alot smoother. Im going to Orlando for a few days, so i had to do this lol. anyway here are some pics.

trannycooler010.jpg

trannycooler008.jpg

trannycooler009.jpg

Last edited:

itsallgsho

Reaction score
Hey redaccord02, pics looks good. Thnx for posting them dood. I just bought the kit today (part#911401) but I didnt have time to install it. I was actually wondering if it was supposed to be that small. lol. Looked bigger in the original pics. I took a pic. Same one you guys got?

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

jwong512

Reaction score
Hey redaccord02, pics looks good. Thnx for posting them dood. I just bought the kit today (part#911401) but I didnt have time to install it. I was actually wondering if it was supposed to be that small. lol. Looked bigger in the original pics. I took a pic. Same one you guys got?

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

You could always buy the heavier duty ones but according to most people the small one gets the job done. I'm probably going to get the small one and get it installed this Friday :D.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Yea same one! Good you got the extra 3 ft of hose. If you follow the DIY you should get it on there with no problem. I think its better to get the hoses put onto the tranny cooler before mounting it. Or lube them up real good with some tranny fluid, because they were a biatch! to put on when i had the cooler mounted already. Only dislike would be that it stands out a lot lol. A black one wouldn't be so noticeable. Thats nothing tho. I still love it and don't regret it 1 bit. Here some pics of the zip ties locations. I messed up on one of them and had to cut it off. Be sure to get it right, if you dont have back up zip ties. I have a whole pack but the ones that came with it seem nice. I used 3 of em. Notice*** I didn't put it thru any of the fins. I taped the cushion pads on the back of the tranny cooler, passed a zip tie thru it and locked it up where ever it was convenient lol. Start with the far right one use the hole already on that metal pole going vertical. After I finished i noticed you can align 2 holes on that same metal pole. run them thru and tie em after lol. Once tied itll be hard to get in there with the other one. That will help you keep it centered. From there you can get creative with the rest on the left side.

trannycooler005.jpg

trannycooler004.jpg

trannycooler002.jpg

trannycooler003.jpg

Last edited:

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Its kinda hard to mess up. you got a 50/50 chance of mixing up the lines lol. Im not sure if it that even matters, if u notice the picture on the directions it brings it shows the line that comes out the brass fitting from the cars radiator to the top of the tranny cooler hole. The tranny cooler radiator goes in 1 hole comes out the other. So im wondering will it even matter if it gets plugged up differently ? Its still gona flow one way or another.. I must have went in my house and read the diy 100 times before finishing, i wanted to be 100% sure didnt wana take any chances. In the end it looked just like the diagram on the directions manual it brings. I didnt use any ATF fluid, I bought some but never needed it. Even after i ran the car it was still fine. Your gonna need some hose cutters I know i did. The line coming from the brass fitting, out the radiator will obviously become the longer line when it reaches the cooler. Oh and that size for the brass fitting is 3/4 or 19mm w/e u got handy. The OP said he forgot what size it was, there it is.

Last edited:
Back