USB hub

twofast4u

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2002 coupe. I got myself one of those cigarette lighter to USB adapters. I ran a USB extension cable behind the dash and put a USB hub there and ran out my other cables (iphone, blackberry cables) from the hub between the centre console and the dash. Now when I plug my blackberry or anything else in, it wont charge. But, if i plug my blackberry cable directly from the USB converter it charges fine. Anyone know my problem? Thanks

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
could be one or all of the following:

cheap quality
doesn't have enough power to pass around to more than one item
trips is own circuit if there's X amount of draw from it

my guess is #2 since non-powered hubs struggle with things like HDDs even off a 110V computer PSU...its just the nature of the thing.

twofast4u

Reaction score
Yea...I figure that the cigarette lighter cant put out enough power to charge more than one device. I guess my idea sounded better in my head.

Is there a way to increase the amount of power it puts out?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i have no idea how you'd do it but...only way really would be a larger gauge wire off the battery and correspondingly large ground wire...basically like wiring an amp. then you'd probably have to eliminate the "cigarette" interface because i bet the little plugin is limited to how much amperage it will flow.

basically...i dont see a way. if youre serious about running 120V stuff in the car, hard wire an inverter using large gauge wire.

twofast4u

Reaction score
ah damn...oh well... dreams have been crushed....time to move on to the next project...interior CCFL's!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Try taking a cable you know works for your blackberry on a computer and test that. I don't know alot about this stuff but someone told me that some companies make the cable periferal some how (and that's why you see different plastic things, don't know what they are called) on many usb cables that come with the device, even though a regular one will work fine.

I don't know if there is any truth to it being periferal by need or by greed but I know that the cables that come with something often don't work with something else and rarely, but sometimes, a universal one won't work with something I own.

dadams

Reaction score
computer guy here: wen using a usb hub whether in a car or a computer, most of them can not power multiple devices at the same time because they can not draw enough power. most usb hubs now come with a pwr adapter for a reg dc outlet. so the problem doesnt lie in the usb extender but in the hub... if the hub came with a pwr adapter, look on it and it should give u the pwr output. if not there is really no way to add to the pwr. if it is u could just hardwire the pwr in.

dynasty

Reaction score
FYI.
USB=5v
Car battery=12v
Home output=120v
Getting shocked with Vietnam 220v=priceless

LOL!

also, wattage is another story. if you are running a higher wattage, you will need to buy an inverter that is higher so you can run it. but i don't know how you could balance the power with the stuff your running and the car.

Back