Dirty brake fluid?

F23A1!

Reaction score
Well my E-brake light came on. so i looked at my Master Cylinder and fluid level was fine, and the float seemed to work fine. but the cylinder next to the master cylinder had dark brown (almost dirty oil colored) brake fluid. (cap said fill with only DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. IDK what that cylinder is? and i emptied that fluid and replaced most of it with clean DOT3.

That was 8 days ago. now....the trunk brake light came on. and i check that same cylinder and the fluid is dark brown again. help? and yes noobalicious for not knowing if thats the slave cylinder for the clutch. (idk if it is lol)

need pics?

1998 Accord, 5spd F23A1

F23A1!

Reaction score
Help please. im uneducated when it comes to master/slave cylinder stuff. and i need to travel 250 miles tomorrow and 20 miles might be stop and go. could be bad if i cant stop or shift :(

F23A1AT

Reaction score
That is your clutch master cylinder, and no that shouldn't be a problem in the short term. It may cause problems down the line. If you want I'll explain that later. For the "brake light coming on, that could be a few things. The switch on your handbrake could have been stuck, the float could have been stuck, just keep an eye on the fluid. The brake lamp light being on is telling you that one of your three brake lights is out, grab a person and ask them to look at the back of your car while you push on the pedal.

PS you should check out youtube and research clutchless shifting techniques. They are not good for your transmission if done wrong, but it will work if done properly

Back