Exhaust smell inside the cabin

BlueJacketGuy

Reaction score
Well guys, my 2002 Ex V6 Sedan is making me think it'll finally kill me on the drive to work with some carbon monoxide. It's around 192k, and the smell has been getting progressively worse, from it being questionable that its happening at all, to happening occasionally. I of course want to get this thing fixed, whether it's a leak or something else.

I've done a basic look earlier today since the winter freeze seemingly ended today, but couldn't find any visible leaks. The smell only appears while moving and the engine is under heavier RPM loads. The smell does pass, but I'm still not sure what could cause something so inconsistent.

capsidx

Reaction score
If you smell co2 theres definitely a leak. It doesnt necessarily have to come from a hole in the exhaust. It could be leaking at the flange. I was driving to work a few weeks ago and all of a sudden I got super dizzy. I immediately pulled over and when I opened the door I fell out. I had carbon monoxide poisoning and a wicked headache the rest of the day. I knew I had a leak but I thought as long as the car was moving i'd be fine. Not the case.

If I were you i'd take it to a muffler shop or anyone you know who can weld. Co2 can strike without warning. It was about 3 degrees that day where I live so I drove for a while with no heat until the engine exploded lol. But I did get the exhaust welded so my suggestion is drive with the windows down. If it's too cold drive with the back windows down and lastly get that isht fixed.

Even a small leak is bad.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yup, I'd take it to an exhaust shop, and see if they can find any leaks. The leaks could be from flanges, to slip joints, to a rust hole in the piping.

Enne

Reaction score
The exhaust manifold on my '99 was loose and you could smell exhaust from the inside. Not enough to be alarming. But, CO2 poisoning can really sneak up on you.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
tht's how it smells after i gutted my catalytic converter lol

BlueJacketGuy

Reaction score
Well guys, turns out it's good news, the dealer confirmed there's no fuel/exhaust leaks.

But the bad news is that there are oil leaks from the valve covers, oil pump, and rear main seal and they're saying it's a $2,500 fix on the old girl, which is more than the new transmission (4AT) I put in her a few years ago.

Of all the options on the table, the first one is to ignore the problem and feed her oil as needed. I can put her out to pasture, or fix it up. What's your guy's recommendation? I see a J30A1 off ebay isn't expensive, but I'd have to pay someone to do a swap without a doubt. There's always the J32/6 speed CL swap, but I have no idea how much that would be, and this is my daily. I'm not so sure I'd want to repair the engine parts, considering it's got 192k on it, and something is likely to go out soon, engine or otherwise. Is there anyone in the Louisville area with a spare J30, a preferred swap shop or a shoulder to cry on?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Well guys, turns out it's good news, the dealer confirmed there's no fuel/exhaust leaks.

But the bad news is that there are oil leaks from the valve covers, oil pump, and rear main seal and they're saying it's a $2,500 fix on the old girl, which is more than the new transmission (4AT) I put in her a few years ago.

Of all the options on the table, the first one is to ignore the problem and feed her oil as needed. I can put her out to pasture, or fix it up. What's your guy's recommendation? I see a J30A1 off ebay isn't expensive, but I'd have to pay someone to do a swap without a doubt. There's always the J32/6 speed CL swap, but I have no idea how much that would be, and this is my daily. I'm not so sure I'd want to repair the engine parts, considering it's got 192k on it, and something is likely to go out soon, engine or otherwise. Is there anyone in the Louisville area with a spare J30, a preferred swap shop or a shoulder to cry on?
I'd probably order up a complete gasket kit, and replace the gaskets a little at a time.
The Honda V6 should last a long time. I think Connie said his went 372Kkm before he swapped it out for a used J32. He's got over 500Kkm on his coupe now and still racking up miles (well km's) on it.

datechboss101

Reaction score

Try to order the OEM parts that is needed for the job from the dealer (look around multiple dealers to get a great deal) and go to a local mechanic that has really great reviews and can do the job for a great price... Dealerships usually charge a lot just for simple jobs (we all know $199.95 for spark plugs is overkill).

Rusty Accord

Reaction score

Another option is to find a good mechanic, pick up a JDM engine off e-bay (like a J32) and have the seals replaced before swapping it in. That would limit your down time on your daily driver.

Last resort would be replacing the car altogether. I don't know what your funds are like either, so you'd have to weight up that option. Keep in mind you've already got a "known entity" in your current Accord.

Back