Derek's 2002 Coupe EX (5MT)

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Re: phi1542's 02 Coupe EX

I remember learning how to drive a manual. Always asking friends to drive their cars, the good ole days.

The day I got my daily S10, I was kind of freaked out by it. Its a 5MT and I had to drive it to work the next day. And I got stuck in traffic on the way home. On big hills. On the highway. Luckily, I knew the concept well enough and made it home without killing it and running into people. Had a few close calls on hills during the first few weeks though.

But you'll love it. My daily gives me the motivation to finish my 6MT swap, so it'll be even better than before.

Master upshifting, then dry downshifting, then rev-matching and so on.

Varnell

Reaction score

^Definitely some close calls. I didn't have anyone to teach me. My first night driving my sedan I went to hit the brake, but hit the clutch, almost hit a stopped car, then let out the clutch while hitting the gas and wildly dropping to second gear. Kept doing burnouts when parked on an incline and even stalled at stop lights a few times.

It gets better. Eventually you won't even put thought into it...unless you get used to a six speed. Then you have to remind yourself not to drop into Reverse on the highway. lol

Thanks! All stock right now but my friend is currently doing the clutch. While he is at it he is doing the 5 lug swap, suspension swap, and installing RL BBK.

That sure escalated quickly! Have fun with the BBK. I can almost guarantee the first time you give the brake pedal a firm press you'll be in for a surprise.

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

Holy batman! How did I miss this!?

Welcome to the club. :) Have fun!

Thanks!

Lol Derek. If it makes you feel better, the first time I drove stick, I forgot to downshift from 3rd. I spent 20 min trying to figure out why I was stalling.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haha a little bit. It all just takes some time to learn!

Did you buy the clutch yet? I believe the kit is an HCK1000 from Exedy.

Yeah I did I went with LuK. I heard it's really good. I got the whole kit like clutch, pressure plate, flywheel etc $170

I remember learning how to drive a manual. Always asking friends to drive their cars, the good ole days.

The day I got my daily S10, I was kind of freaked out by it. Its a 5MT and I had to drive it to work the next day. And I got stuck in traffic on the way home. On big hills. On the highway. Luckily, I knew the concept well enough and made it home without killing it and running into people. Had a few close calls on hills during the first few weeks though.

But you'll love it. My daily gives me the motivation to finish my 6MT swap, so it'll be even better than before.

Master upshifting, then dry downshifting, then rev-matching and so on.

Yeah I'm scared to go on the hills... I haven't done it yet and I will be sure to learn all those too! I want to learn how to race for that H22 :)

^Definitely some close calls. I didn't have anyone to teach me. My first night driving my sedan I went to hit the brake, but hit the clutch, almost hit a stopped car, then let out the clutch while hitting the gas and wildly dropping to second gear. Kept doing burnouts when parked on an incline and even stalled at stop lights a few times.

It gets better. Eventually you won't even put thought into it...unless you get used to a six speed. Then you have to remind yourself not to drop into Reverse on the highway. lol

That sure escalated quickly! Have fun with the BBK. I can almost guarantee the first time you give the brake pedal a firm press you'll be in for a surprise.

Let's hope I dont ruin this clutch haha and yup! My friend is currently working on it right now.

fe654cde6f41e6b39c338d64915030d8.jpg

be40fb6479af31cd2a3f922f42b0ecfb.jpg

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

Making some progress. Still need to install the RL BBK. So far the interior is swapped, 5 lug swapped, audio installed, suspension is swapped, and some other stuff probably. Hoping to get the car back this week my friend might be out of town for a week :( I still need to do the alarm system, repaint the front end + the lip kit, and retrofit the headlights. So more work is need to be done but it's turning out nicely! :)

de15f8b0f90bc3c7a2cb226be53e0b68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

You've been hard at work, or I should say, your friend has haha. Lookin good.

phi1542

Reaction score

You've been hard at work, or I should say, your friend has haha. Lookin good.
Yeah LOL I wish I knew how to do this stuff because I spent a lot paying him to do all of this... :'( and yeah it is haha I can't wait until I get it back to where I want it to be!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

You surely waste no time, Derek. Let's fast forward moar!

J/K. Hope everything will be going smooth. ;)

Varnell

Reaction score

You've made more progress in a month than most members on here do in their first two years. lol Those wheels look great on there and work great with the SSM paint.

phi1542

Reaction score

You surely waste no time, Derek. Let's fast forward moar!

J/K. Hope everything will be going smooth. ;)
Yes I don't :) I'm super impatient and I want everything done asap LOL my priority right now is to get the main stuff on and get it on the road. Paint will have to wait since I spent a lot on parts and labor. Just doing the important stuff first haha
You've made more progress in a month than most members on here do in their first two years. lol Those wheels look great on there and work great with the SSM paint.
Yeah well only since I had everything from my old Accord! Haha if I didn't have the parts already it would take way longer. I will always remember my black coupe. I learned a lot from getting it to where it was before the accident over the last 3 years. Took a long time to get all the parts I have today haha

I also have this JDM H22A. If I do the swap my car will not pass smog so I will have to do a under the table smog but those are expensive. Is it worth it? Idk... I want the power though lol. Since the engine is in pieces I'm going to get all new parts so it will basically be rebuilt. I'm not doing the swap now but I'm thinking about what I should do.

40efd4c08dc17adfc1ba86ed01dced4a.jpg

Back