Hello Forum, please help me love my Honda!

NissanB4stard

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took a 2002 Accord EX, MT in trade for my slightly wrecked motorcycle. It was a pretty good deal, and the accord is one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. I really like the leather, and I love all the pockets and cubbies that the car has.

So here's the problem. Its the most boring car that I've owned in my adult life. The steering seems loose, the gearing is not exciting, and the handling isn't good.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything. It's a great car and I'd like to keep it. Are there any mods you all can recommend that will kick the snooze out of it for me?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You already have the MT which is worlds better than the automatic. The best/cheapest way to make the car more fun is aftermarket suspension and the fattest RSB you can find. And bigger wheels. If you want more speed/power, it gets much more involving as these cars were designed for economy (even the V6), meaning bolt-ons don't make a noticeable difference. So with you being i4 your options are a motor swap or forced induction. If you go with the latter, the longer gearing with your current transmission is a good thing.

Those are the main things that will up the driving excitement.

NissanB4stard

Reaction score
Yeah I think new struts and possibly springs should help out a lot with the handling. It's on its second motor and the chassis is at 330K. I bet nobody replaced the struts.... Ever....

I was also thinking a short throw shifter might make it a little more fun.

Anyone know about how to tighten up the steering a bit?

Performance wise im pretty happy with it. This guy is basically my daily driver/Econobox. It's replacing a 98 mazda protege. Which was suprisingly fun despite having only 92hp. The gearing, steering and suspension were really sporty though, I sort of miss that.

Overall the thing is a pretty pimp ride. I like the fact that I can pick up a date in it and appear to be a real grown up. It seems like most ladies dont have a sincere appreciation for my NX2000 or my f250 that I do!

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
I agree with the suspension mods, if you want to help out performance and keep a decent ride I’ve got H&R lowering springs and KYB struts. Great ride, better handling, and a decent drop that isn’t too low to scrape on everything. Or if you want some adjust ability the TEIN coilovers have great reviews for ride quality. Highly recommend the rear sway bar. I've got the TL-S 22mm bar in mine, made a huge difference. Strut tower did provide a decent improvement too. These would be your most noticeable mods.

Unfortunately you are stuck with the steering feel, but it will improve with the suspension mods.

Oh and a short throw is always fun!

twofast4u

Reaction score
jtc customs makes the short throw shifter for our cars. I have one in my car, which made a huge difference.

rooky

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took a 2002 Accord EX, MT in trade for my slightly wrecked motorcycle. It was a pretty good deal, and the accord is one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. I really like the leather, and I love all the pockets and cubbies that the car has.

So here's the problem. Its the most boring car that I've owned in my adult life. The steering seems loose, the gearing is not exciting, and the handling isn't good.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything. It's a great car and I'd like to keep it. Are there any mods you all can recommend that will kick the snooze out of it for me?

Welcome to our forum, and your car is a fun toy to have even though it seems like nothing. Most of these guys on here including myself got our car in the worst condition ever. But we all started off small with modifying little things like wheels & tires, suspension, brakes, sway bar & strut braces, engine mounts, exhaust & air intake, interior, engine swaps or upgrades, exterior look and comfort. I'm gonna share a secret with you, when just got my 2000 Accord sedan I wasn't looking for Horsepower yet. I decided to make the car derivable and safer on the road. My car had ****ty brakes, in need of a tune up badly, and better suspension and handling. Here's my very first upgrades: Sorry my photos would not upload don't know why sorry.

Back