THE Car Audio and Video Review Thread

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

Anything and everything related to Car Audio and Video goes here. From DVD NAV Units to Speakers.

Format:

Brand & model:
Price paid and from where:
Pros:
Cons:
Final verdict:

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
Brand & model: Crossfire CFQ5.2 EQ
Price paid and from where: About $200.00 from a local stereo shop
Pros:
1. 5 band equalizer (50Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 6.5kHz)
2. Separate subwoofer gain
3. 2 inputs
4. LED in front that lights up when it is peaking
5. Small (Half DIN)
6. Separate front and rear high pass filters
7. High watt pre-outs (6.5 RMS I think)
Cons: None :D
Final verdict:
Probably my favorite part of my system. You can use one input for your CD player, and the other one for anything that has RCAs, such as gaming console, DVD player, MP3 player, etc.

Brand & model: Crossfire VR804 4 channel amp
Price paid and from where: Used from a buddy, a few hundred bucks I think
Pros:
1. Awesome power (800 watts)
2. Separate front and rear gains and tuning
3. Set screw power/ground/remote terminals
4. Amp is rated at 12 volts, where most other audio companies rate their products at 14.4 volts. So you actually get more power than the specs say if you are running at 14.4 volts
Cons: None
Final verdict:
I love this amp. I have had for 7 years, and it still runs like a champ. Once, when my car was torn apart, I had the amp on the rear deck, and I forgot it was there. Well I had to stop fast, and it fell from the rear deck onto the back seat, but the cushion wasn't there, so it hit the metal. Still runs like a champ, winter (where it can get to -40 F) and summer.

Brand & model: Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.25 component set
Price paid and from where: Around $250.00 from eBay
Pros:
1. Awesome highs
2. Can handle a lot of power
3. Infinity's reputation
Cons:
1. Lows could be better
2. Need external amp to properly power
3. Really deep so they won't fit in stock door location without a little modification
4. Factory tweeter location sucks, so I had to cut holes in the door panels in front of the door handle to put the tweeters in.
Final verdict:
These speakers rock! You don't want too much bass up front (that's what a sub and rear speakers are for IMO) so the lack of bass isn't an issue for me. I've had them for 7 years as well, and they are still awesome.

Brand & model: Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2-Way
Price paid and from where: About $100 from same seller as components.
Pros:
1. Great mid bass
2. Separate tweeter (thus making it 2-way)
3. Separate crossover
Cons:
1. Needs external amp to properly power
2. Factory rear speakers are 6x9, so a little bezel had to be built for them to fit
Final verdict:
Once again, I've had these for 7 years, and still sound awesome.

Brand & model: Corssfire VR302 2-way amp
Price paid and from where: $75 from a friend
Pros:
1. Like 4 channel amp, it is rated at 12 volts, so 14.4 volts will get you more power
2. Great quality
3. Powers my sub rated at 500 watts RMS, 1,000 watts max adequately
4. Would power a smaller sub awesome
Cons:
1. Not enough power for me
Final verdict:
While this amp is great for a lower power sub, it just doesn't power my sub (reviewed below) good enough for me. I should be able to turn my 4 channel amp up to get more power to my speakers, but then I wouldn't be able to hear my sub

Brand & model: Crossfire 12" BMF
Price paid and from where: $100 from a friend
Pros:
1. 500 watts RMS, 1,000 watts max
2. Pounds super hard with big enough amp
3. Can keep up with fast music
4. Tested at 12 volts
Cons:
1. Needs a lot of power
Final verdict:
This sub is 7 years old as well, and still runs like a champ. Great all around sub for music with a lot of slower bass (Rap, etc.) and fast bass (metal, etc.).

Everything Together
I love my system, everything flows very well together. I'm more of a SQ guy, rather than SPL, and this sounds very crisp and clear. I tend to get sick of things really fast, and (broken record) even though I've had everything for 7 years, I still love it!

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Brand & Model: Pioneer AVIC-Z1.
Price: $2200 shipped.
Pros: Everything and anything that you can ever want or get from a Navi/dvd unit, this will do it for you.
Cons: pricey and their customer support sucks and their website sucks!!!!
Verdict: I used an avic-n1 before it got stolen but let me tell you that the Z1 is far better from anything out there. The interactive 7" touch screen has enough options for you to feel like you got a carputer. A bit pricey but i strongly recommend this or its upgraded counterpart Avic-Z3 to anyone who is looking into getting a navigation/dvd. Just keep in mind that the customer care they provide is lower than verizon's! thats low!

Last edited:

bigtp3

Reaction score
Brand & model: Jensen 7" VM9312 Motorized
Price paid and from where: $255 from eBay
Pros: Price and ability to connect anything you want
Cons: no navi and doesn't have TV reception
Final verdict: Love it. An awesome touch to my car, especially the motorized part lol.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Brand & model: Alpine V12 Expert MRV-F505 4 Chan Amp
Price paid and from where: $50 Craigslist
Pros: Good adjustability with plenty of power.
Cons: none.
Final verdict: Just needed a four channel amp to power my 6x9's and components and came across this gem on Craigslist, so I picked it up.

Brand & model: Boston SL 6.5" Components
Price paid and from where: $120 from my moms BF's company.
Pros: Incredible sound clarity
Cons: None
Final verdict: Best $120 I've spent in a little while. You deff need an amp to power these, don't even try to install them without one.

Brand & model: Boston SX 3 Way 6x9's
Price paid and from where: $100 from my moms BF's company.
Pros: Same as above
Cons:none
Final verdict: Best $100 I've spent in a little while, lol. Incredible mids and lows, sounds like I have a sub in my trunk which is exatly what I was looking for in a 6x9.

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
Brand & model: 10" Type-R Subwoofer with Alpine enclosure ported box
Price paid and from where: $100 (?) from local
Pros: Sounds very crisp and clear. Perfect for whoever likes to enjoy music and not just bass. You could hear some treble but there's definitely middle and bass.
Cons: Subwoofer box is too heavy. But it's made directly from Alpine so i won't complain.
Final verdict: I love it! I play it music while i'm at the park playing basketball.

Lxcord

Banned
Reaction score
Brand & model: Pioneer AVH-P4000 DVD double-din
Price paid and from where: $372 shipped from hookedontronics.com
Pros: such a sick unit, feels and sounds like a real movie theater, gets a lot of attention, pimp factor
Cons: gets a lot of attention, no friggin remote
Final verdict: def worth it, dont recommend watching movies when driving, but so pimp.

avh_p4000dvd_l_large.jpg

Last edited:

BKLYN ACCORD

Reaction score
Brand & model:Jensen vm9512
Price paid and from where: $400 shipped EBAY
pros: Jensen built its VM9512 with connectivity in mind. The 7" touchscreen can control an iPod through the included adapter, a USB thumb drive, or an optional navigation system. You'll find more than enough built-in options to keep you and your passengers entertained, with DVD playback and an integrated SD card reader for up to 4GB of extra digital music. And built-in Bluetooth® controls let you place and receive calls through your compatible phone, as well as stream A2DP audio files through your stereo.
Read More

A remote mount MediaLink4 center makes it easy to add entertainment components, with connections for Jensen's included iPod® cable, a mini jack auxiliary input, a USB port, and RCA connections. All ports are on the front of the MediaLink4 interface, which can be placed under your dash, in a glove compartment or cargo area for easy access.

For entertainment options, the DVD/CD player is compatible with many formats, including DVD+R, DVD+RW (single and dual layer), MP3, WMA, DivX and XviD. Dual zone capability allows you to enjoy music in the front while passengers watch a movie on an optional backseat screen.

The VM9512 also works with Jensen's optional navigation system, so you can add turn-by-turn instructions with voice guidance through an easy-to-use graphic interface. The system comes with a 2GB SD card preloaded with U.S. and Canadian maps.

Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Hands-on Research" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.

Note: Bluetooth compatibility with this receiver may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
Details:

General features:
* DVD/CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/60 watts peak x 4 channels)
* plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and DVD+RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files), SVCD, VCD, DivX, DVDs, DVD+Rs, and XviD
* built-in Bluetooth wireless connectivity
* included iPod adapter cable
* wireless remote
Audio/video features:
* picture-in-picture capable
* dual-zone capable
* Dolby Digital and Pro-Logic II/5.1 with Time Delay
Expandability:
* remote-mount MediaLink4 auxiliary input module: includes USB connector, minijack, iPod cable connector, and RCA jacks
* compatible with Jensen navigation system
* SD card input
* XM Satellite Radio-ready
* 3 audio/video inputs
* 2 video outputs
* rear camera input
* four sets of 4-volt preamp outputs

Other features and specs:
* DVD signal-to-noise: ratio 95 dB
* FM sensitivity: 9 dBf

Cons: none

final verdict: love it! more bang for my buck !!!

Last edited:

Lxcord

Banned
Reaction score
Brand & model: Infinity Basslink
Price paid and from where: $157 from hookedontronics
Pros: great 10" sub, hits hard, not earth shaking bass, but is perfect for me. Looks very classy.
Cons: does not come with amp wiring kit, need to buy it seperately.
Final verdict: Great choice for those who dont need to shake other cars with their bass, but instead have a nice clean sound that stays inside the car.

0001001ur2.jpg

Brand & model: Pioneer A class 6x5 and pioneer 6x9 3 way coaxial speakers
Price paid and from where: $48 for the 6x5 and $47 for the 6x9 speakers from sonicelectronics.com
Pros: great speakers, huge upgrade over stock, very crisp, can hear the details in songs much better. who needs components when coaxial speakers sound this good.
Cons: none
Final verdict: great choice, dont spend more on speakers, pioneer's A class speakers are a great choice, and will satisfy most music lovers.

google picture
tsa6962r.jpg

Last edited:

Lxcord

Banned
Reaction score
Brand & model: Garmin Nuvi 200W
Price paid and from where: $90 used from ebay
Pros: navigation is useful, POP selectable address, traffic backup detours, pleasant voice directions, nice graphics, widescreen.
Cons: screen scratches too easily, street names are not spoken.
Final verdict: a must for anybody who travels, or simply who enjoys to drive, gives you the shortest route.

0001022hg9.jpg

Last edited:
Back