Colorado Peeps I need your advice on emissions test

cfox28

Reaction score
Hi all,

It has been awhile since i've been on, but I wanted to get advice from people in colorado that have to pass emissions. (or advice from other who might also need to pass a rigorous inspection)

I am most likely moving from ohio to denver/boulder. When i looked up "air care" information, a couple things stood out to me.

-they test the exhaust to measure the levels produced
-visually test the opacity of the exhaust smoke. (over 5% fails)
-in their video they show inspecting the under carriage with a extended mirror
-check your OBD II readings (if you have a check engine light you fail)

my question to those who deal with strict emissions/ vehicle inspection, are they really that strict about everything?
-are there areas I can get away with?

I have a test pipe and I was going to do the inter fouler mod to get rid of the code, but I don't know if they would spot that and call me out. Also it seams like they might check for catalytic converter model numbers to make sure they were EPA acceptable (which of course my test pipe won't pass)

next on the list, I currently am throwing a shift malfunction code, the car is okay, but the tranny is on its way out. If i make the move, is my goose cooked? I won't be able to replace my transmission just to be able to be registered.

THX for any help guys

DrDoom

Reaction score
Im moving up there soon from florida and am worried about the emissions to never had to do them. luckily I left everything after the header stock still. Ive been throwing parts at it trying to make sure I don't break down on the drive there im at 188k mileage but got rebuilt trans. Im ready to touge some mountain roads!

cfox28

Reaction score
yeah quite a change from florida. I have a header back exhaust set up with a test pipe, so i am a bit worried.

fyi for colorado the day you start work in the state, you are considered a resident. at which point you have 90 days to register your vehicle and get a state license.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Late reply but emissions here is easy the workers dont really inspect anything except your emissions level and obd2 check. They dont get paid enough to really care. Not sure if you will fail with a test pipe but you will need the cat for sure. Worse case get a cheap cat installed than remove after your test but keep in mind you will retest every two years. Hope this helps.

Back