DIY how to replace springs on coilovers

99accord boi

Reaction score
this is a mod for those seeking a stiffer spring setup for watever reason they have
i will teach u how to take apart ur coils so u can measure the springs and assemble the coils with the new springs U HAVE TO DO IT TWICE unless u dont daily ur car and u can let it sit

DISCLAIMER i know that by upgrading spring to something that is a bit stiffer can blow ur shocks i am not responsible for that

also these steps need to be performed in this order i will explain why later

all coilovers are different different brands use different spring sizes for their coils
dont ask me wat size spring u need, u need to go out and measure ur springs
urself

TOOLS:
17mm 14mm 12mm sockets
wratchet
and the wrenches that came with your coils
2 jacks
jackstands i dont have any so i throw my wheels under the car
TIME:
it took about 2hrs from the time i started to jack my car up to the time i dropped it back on the ground

ok lets get started

step 1
raise ur car and remove the wheels

step 2
ok so the fun begins
with the wheels removed u can now access the coils
ur gonna remove the two small perches one is to lock the bottom mount in place the the upper one is to lock the spring into place
DSC03067.jpg

step 3
remove the coilovers im not gonna show u how if u dont know how u shouldn't be doing this in the first place :dunce:

step 4
with the coils out, we start to take everything apart (this takes the longest)
u start with the bottom mount then the perches
now if the top perch that is holding down the spring is too tight throw the coilover back in the car and let it hang by a couple bolts and try to loosen it then
if that doesnt work throw the fork on and just tighten the 14mm bolt
BE CAREFULL WITH THIS BOLT... THEY GET STRIPPED SOME TIMES
heres a pic of everything out and loose
DSC03069.jpg

if u take a look these arent ur ordinary type two and by ordinary i mean the ones ken is selling on this forum
DSC03070.jpg

i am no expert but i think 18010 stands for 180mm of freelength and 10 for 10kg springrate
DSC03071.jpg

step 5 the point of no return

we start by unscrewing the bottom mount then the perches and then u carefully slide out ur spring
DSC03074.jpg

heres everything taken apart
DSC03075.jpg

thise is for the people who need to measure ur springs, if u already have ur springs ready to be installed skip this

step 6
all spring companies speak the same language and all they ask for is the freelength of the spring and its inner diameter followed by ur choice of spring rate
whether u measure in inches or mm( this is prefferable) u will have to convert from in to mm or the other way around

from my expertise in the inner diam department id spring measurement
conversions are as follows
60mm =2.25 in
65mm= 2.5in
70mm=2.75in

for free length its
6in
7in
8in
all companies speak in inches length wise
ok so mine measured 62mm inner diam and 7 in in free length this translates to a 65mm or 2.5in id and 7 in in free length
ok so because i live in cali and cali is the **** i drive 40 miles to the city of ontario to the swift springs facility and order me some 15kg springs:lolrun:
i saw this in there storage area:drool:
photo-3.jpg

ok so here are the springs
photo-4.jpg

and here are a couple comparison pics of the old spring and the swift spring
DSC03076.jpg

DSC03077.jpg

according to them less coils translates to less weight and more usable stroke
reassembly:147703263745b138a51
so now we put everything back in reverse order
we will preload the spring when its on the car
here is another pic
DSC03078.jpg

and here is everything put back together
DSC03079.jpg

now slide the coilovers back into place tighten all the bolts
now as for preload i did a couple of mm to make sure its nice and snug ill come back to it next week to check on everything
take it for a drive lets the springs settle for a couple days then go back and adjust the height
thanks for reading rep would be much appreciated:haysm9:

also id like to give a shout out to all those idiots that told me instead of doing this mod i should just buy new coils $200springs> $2000 coils that still wont give me the springrate i need:booty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bax

NotNice

Reaction score
Woww. I actully did this a few days ago. but to lower the car more since the teins dont go low enough and to have it stiffer. I used eibach springs. Good write up though alot can use this info.

99accord boi

Reaction score
Woww. I actully did this a few days ago. but to lower the car more since the teins dont go low enough and to have it stiffer. I used eibach springs. Good write up though alot can use this info.

u have teins that use oem tophats right?
because im at max drop on mine but i think i need a shorter shockbody in order for me to go lower im at 24 in from the floor to the top of fender and i want to go 1/2 in lower

all.i.see

Reaction score
You went from 10kg to 15kg springs.. That wont **** up your shocks? Do you need a recalibration on the shocks? This is a lot of help, would love to do this soon because my set up is too soft right now. Good job on the write up!!!

001Stunna

Reaction score
also id like to give a shout out to all those idiots that told me instead of doing this mod i should just buy new coils $200springs> $2000 coils that still wont give me the springrate i need:booty:

those "idiots" probably told you that because they considered the fact that your dampers might need to be re-valved and made to match the harsher spring rates.

99accord boi

Reaction score
You went from 10kg to 15kg springs.. That wont **** up your shocks? Do you need a recalibration on the shocks? This is a lot of help, would love to do this soon because my set up is too soft right now. Good job on the write up!!!
well it depends on many things , how harsh the roads are were u live the miles on the shocks the spring rate difference
those "idiots" probably told you that because they considered the fact that your dampers might need to be re-valved and made to match the harsher spring rates.

its not that much harsher
besides im broke
balling on a budget

Darianjr1

Reaction score
Yea i wouldnt say its that bad cause f2's allow you to go to 14k and im sure if it was a problem they wouldnt be letting everyone upgrade them... how much worse could that 1k be

Back