Vibration while driving

brainneeded

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have developed quite a bit of vibration in the cabin while driving. I initially thought it the passenger side axle (which had a fair amount of play in it), which i replaced but did not resolve my vibration issue. the car vibrates from 30 mph and does not stop at any speed.

a few months ago I had the flexplate replaced, and the shop (who is my uncle, and he replaced it for me basically at cost) told me the rear engine mount needed replacement. is it possible that this is what is causing the vibration? i also have a small transmission fluid leak, at first i thought it may be caused at the seal where the output for the driver's side axle, but is it possibly from a bad motor mount? i've been looking through the forum for DIY's for the rear mount (of which there are almost none, except sparse descriptions of how it's not an easy DIY lol) and everyone refers to the hydraulic rear mount, but no one ever mentions where the fluid for the mount comes from. so i guess i'm asking is it possible the trans fluid is coming from a broken rear mount?

i don't have a problem tackling mechanic work, and i don't want to take it back to my uncle if i don't have to (he won't take my money for much more over cost of parts and i feel bad since he has to pay his mechanics out of pocket) but ultimately if i can't resolve this issue, i guess i will be forced to take it back to him.

thanks in advance for any help! please let me know if you need me to clarify any part where i might not have been clear.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Where do you feel the vibration? In the steering wheel, in the pedal, or in the seat or dash?

Possible things to check are: mounts (tears, leaks), wheels (bends/cracks or balancing issue), tires (bubbles, treadwear), brakes (warped rotors), suspension, etc.

brainneeded

Reaction score
in the seat, no vibration in the wheel. wheels have been balanced in the last few months, and i took a look at the tires around the same time. suspension is in fair condition, checked tie rods. i've just been putting off the rear mount since it looks like a pain, but i've reached my breaking point.

don't think it's the brakes since theres no vibration under braking. it's a constant vibration, acceleration and deceleration don't seem to have much of an effect (if any) on it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's unusual but I have heard of warped rotors throwing a vibration when not braking. But given what you've said I'd definitely examine the mounts next.

Back