trident

Reaction score
Hey people, glad to found this board. We are looking at a 2000 Accord with close to 150k miles on the clock. Seems in good running condition but need to know more about the machine before we let her in. Gonna spend some time reading around here.

Connie

Reaction score
Good luck?
V6 or I4? Automatic or manual? The automatics had troubles, just fyi. But you probably knew that if you have been reading around in here. Other than that, super reliable cars.

Accordx

Reaction score
I wouldn't black list the automatics. I know the auto transmission on my 6th gen isn't in the best condition but there's a few out there that have no problems whatsoever.

DBO867

Reaction score
I wouldn't black list the automatics. I know the auto transmission on my 6th gen isn't in the best condition but there's a few out there that have no problems whatsoever.

Hes right on this one, my friends gf V6 accord is almost near 300k and still going strong. Shes definitely one of the lucky fews

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Hes right on this one, my friends gf V6 accord is almost near 300k and still going strong. Shes definitely one of the lucky fews

I do not think anyone is blacklisting the automatics as quite a few people still drive them, what the OP is trying to do is just inform the new member of what could be in store as so they can be prepared as a "Just in case" scenario.

You might be surprised how many people have never heard of the transmission issue and then end up over their heads when they were not prepared to drop a grand on a rebuilt one and more then likely that person will not put it in themselves which is going to set them back another 500+ If they find a honest mechanic.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst right? :) That is all pretty much any of us can do in this world.

So good luck to the OP and your hunt for the right accord that suits your needs the best.

Accordx

Reaction score
I do not think anyone is blacklisting the automatics as quite a few people still drive them, what the OP is trying to do is just inform the new member of what could be in store as so they can be prepared as a "Just in case" scenario.

You might be surprised how many people have never heard of the transmission issue and then end up over their heads when they were not prepared to drop a grand on a rebuilt one and more then likely that person will not put it in themselves which is going to set them back another 500+ If they find a honest mechanic.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst right? :) That is all pretty much any of us can do in this world.

So good luck to the OP and your hunt for the right accord that suits your needs the best.

I probably should have worded that differently. Just saying, doesn't take long to figure out that there are known issues with the auto transmission if you look around on this forum. But also there are some good automatic transmissions out there, so just keep an open mind as not every single 6th gen has a bad transmission. That's all.
P.S. Even I drive an automatic 6th gen, just don't want a new member being completely steered away from one if it may not have any issues.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
I think if you are gentle with it, it can last a long time. There are a lot of sedans with a lot of miles on them on an original transmission, and a lot fewer coupes. People that buy coupes drive differently than people who buy sedans.

I buy coupes, and drive like someone who does, and still got 344k km on the original transmission. The one in there now (used junkyard one) has around 400k km total on it too, and it's just been starting to act weird lately. But those are still super high mileage numbers; there are a lot of variables in place here.

I also follow the recommended interval for drain-and-fill (every 30k km), which definitely helps a lot. If I drove like a sedan person, I bet I could still be running the original transmission.

But they still also eventually fail. Which can be said about a lot of automatics (remember the Caravans of the same era?), but isn't really an excuse. Toyota, for example, has a better track record with such things.

It is what it is. If it's shifting fine when you get it, you follow the maintenance schedule, and drive like a normal person; it'll probably last you a long time. But it might not. But it might.

Last edited:
Back