Axle Seal Repleacement

98CG5

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just replaced my axle seal on my Sedan and I noticed that when I was putting the new seal in, it went in rather easily, almost like it was too small. Well, after I installed everything, I started the car and put it in drive(while on jackstands), and the trans was leaking from the new seal.

Now, the new seal has a copper rounding. Im assuming a after a heat cycle the seal will expand? I cleaned everything to make sure the surface had no debris during reinstallation. Should I go to a Honda Dealer and get a seal from Honda?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Post a pic of the seal. And yes I'd replace with OEM, not worth trying to save a buck with something like this.

98CG5

Reaction score
Post a pic of the seal. And yes I'd replace with OEM, not worth trying to save a buck with something like this.

Thanks. Not that I was Cheaping out, I just went to the nearest Adv and bought the seals. Im going to Honda today, hopefully they have it so I can swap it out after work. Other than that, the car drives great. Plan on having her for another 6 months or so, then Im getting a 7th Gen Accord.

98CG5

Reaction score
Update. They will have the seal tomorrow, so I'll be picking that up and doing the job once more...hopefully the last time.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Had a friend with a similar experience as yours OP when changing axle seals and found out that the aftermarket seal was actually a tad smaller than the OEM honda seal.

Glad you got your issue fixed.

Back