1999 2Dr. Accord Market

sbuklad

Reaction score
1999 2Dr. Honda Accord LX 130,000 Miles on the clock.

My parents have had this since new in 99’ and recently damaged the transmission. They are not sure what they are going to do with it at this point. I joined the forum on their behalf to see if there is any interest in this car from an enthusiast?

They are quite attached to the car but in there upper 60’s + age group they are considering a vehicle that is easier to get in and out of.

It is a NE Ohio car but well maintained. I put new rotors and pads on it for them this past summer and was surprised how easy the job was given the age. I expected more rust and frozen parts (kudos to Honda for their build quality in 99’).

Any tips or advice on selling? They have insurance money to repair the transmission so it will be back in running condition in the near future. Is a running 99’ worth selling or are they going to take such a loss on the car that it is their best interest to keep or trade to a dealer to get value. I know Blue Book lists it as $2K in very good condition but I doubt a trade would generate that amount.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Accordx

Reaction score
If you end up trading it to a dealer you won't get a lot at all for it. You'd be better off selling it yourself. Usually on Craigslist if it's in good condition you can ask a little higher than kbb recommends just because there's a decent market for used Hondas. In regards to this car generating interest from car enthusiasts; this car (and Accords in general) are not really the go-to car for most Honda fans. It's a niche market when it comes to Accord enthusiasts when compared to Civics and other 90s cars under $5000. I know a lot of people who are looking for an 6th gen Accord are usually looking for a manual sedan, sometimes a manual coupe. To sum it up: you'd be ripped off for a trade, so you'd be better off selling it privately or keeping it. That's just where I'm coming from, hopefully someone else can give a little better insight on this one.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
If you end up trading it to a dealer you won't get a lot at all for it. You'd be better off selling it yourself. Usually on Craigslist if it's in good condition you can ask a little higher than kbb recommends just because there's a decent market for used Hondas. In regards to this car generating interest from car enthusiasts; this car (and Accords in general) are not really the go-to car for most Honda fans. It's a niche market when it comes to Accord enthusiasts when compared to Civics and other 90s cars under $5000. I know a lot of people who are looking for an 6th gen Accord are usually looking for a manual sedan, sometimes a manual coupe. To sum it up: you'd be ripped off for a trade, so you'd be better off selling it privately or keeping it. That's just where I'm coming from, hopefully someone else can give a little better insight on this one.

I have to agree with you 100%. We paid 2K for my wife's car 3 years ago with more miles on it, but it was also a 4 cylinder AT sedan. When I went looking for a car for myself, there were 4 Accords on Craig's list, and only 1 with a Manual Trans in it. I ended up buying it, but it was a 5th gen sedan, whereas I really wanted a 6th gen sedan. I paid 1300 for it. The other 3 Accords were in the 1300 to 2K range, and almost all of them were at 200K or there a bouts in mileage. The prices were dependent on how much rust they had, and how many new parts were installed. The thing was, there were about 10 different Civics on there all in the 2K and above range, with a 50-50 split between AT and MT. Demand for the Civic is higher in my area, and prices are reflected by that.

Keep in mind if your parents decide to have the trans rebuilt, they're probably looking at 2K for that, which means that you'd be hard pressed to get any money out of it. Trading it in, would result in about 500 bucks with or without the trans being fixed. Or list it on Craig's list as is, and price it accordingly.

Basically they're not going to get much out of it (fixed or not), and it'll be a while before it gets sold with the holidays fast approaching.

To be honest, I'd replace the trans, and drive it for a few more years (or until at least late spring) to get some money/more use out of it, then sell it on Craig's list. The beauty of owning the car since new is, you know what's been replaced and what hasn't. I can't say that about my 99 Accord sedan, but, I've thrown a bunch of new parts at it this year, as I plan on keeping it a while.

Last edited:

sbuklad

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. This is the information we were looking for.
They are emotionally attached to the car but understand it may not be the best car for them anymore. They take a lot of pride in the fact that the car is not rusted and pretty good inside for the age and they have kept it in good order for all these years.

I agree that the 2K transmission job will not yield a profit but it seems like a waste to let a otherwise good working car go over the transmission repair cost.

I will forward these thoughts to them.

Thank you.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. This is the information we were looking for.
They are emotionally attached to the car but understand it may not be the best car for them anymore. They take a lot of pride in the fact that the car is not rusted and pretty good inside for the age and they have kept it in good order for all these years.

I agree that the 2K transmission job will not yield a profit but it seems like a waste to let a otherwise good working car go over the transmission repair cost.

I will forward these thoughts to them.

Thank you.

Well, if they like the car, then dumping the 2K into it and keeping it shouldn't/wouldn't be a problem. And with the longer doors of the coupe, that should make it be easier to get in/out of. My dad is 83, and gets in/out of my 99 Accord sedan pretty easily, especially compared to either my 06 Chevy truck, or my 92 Geo Prizm (2 extremes on ride height).
Believe it or not, ease of ingress/egress was the reason I chose an Accord over a Civic (it sits up slightly higher than a Civic). I've had my fill of lowered/slammed cars, and I have real issues with getting in or out of them.
I also (in the last 8 years) have been having trouble with finding seats I can get comfortable in (while driving or riding). I've sold 3 vehicles in the last 3 years because of it. The Accord seats are very comfortable, and I like them. I've heard that newer Accord seats aren't as comfortable. I do have to admit that Honda did get the 6th gen right on a lot of points.
A friend of mine (older couple in their mid 70's) still have their 2000 Accord sedan that they bought new. They love it. He's handicapped with his right arm due to a stroke 15+ years ago, but it doesn't stop him. His wife drives it too, because she can't drive a stick (never learned how). So it's the perfect car for them, especially since they've had it since new and know what's been fixed on it over the years. It does make a difference.

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I would say keep it. They own it. No payments. The motor should be solid. A new transmission should last another 10 years easily if done correctly. A remanufactured transmission with the problem areas corrected would be the best bet and a fluid cooler added.

Any dealer will give no more than 500 for it and then turn around and sell out for over 2k.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you in Wooster, OH?

I may be interested if it's in decent shape. Any way you can send me some pictures?

Kimbo80

Reaction score
Sbuklad-Coupe of other things your parents should also consider-1) If the timing belt/water pump, timing belt tensioner has never been replaced, it should be done ASAP. If your timing belt snaps, the engine is most likely today. That will cost around a thousand dollars at the dealership. It will be less at an independent mechanic. 2). This generation Accord is notorious for sub frame rust on the passenger’s side, due to the a/c hose dripping directly onto it. If your parents’ car has this sub frame rust, that is another costly repair ( you are looking at a couple of hundred to find a salvaged rear subframe from down south or out west plus $600+ in labor costs). You can see how bad the damage is by removing the from passenger side tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
1999 2Dr. Honda Accord LX 130,000 Miles on the clock.

My parents have had this since new in 99’ and recently damaged the transmission. They are not sure what they are going to do with it at this point. I joined the forum on their behalf to see if there is any interest in this car from an enthusiast?

They are quite attached to the car but in there upper 60’s + age group they are considering a vehicle that is easier to get in and out of.

It is a NE Ohio car but well maintained.

Scott

I think what some on here are missing is that's a 130K mile car, that's had 1 owner in the last 19 years, and the owners are in their ~mid 60's.
If they buy another vehicle, will they get 130K out of it in the next 19 years? Would they even keep it that long? What would they be looking at for a replacement? These are valid questions, that only they can answer.

I mean if it's been well maintained, the existing Honda should easily go another 10 to 15 years, or until health reasons come a long to prevent them from driving. It is paid off, so it doesn't really owe them anything at this point.

These are the kinds of things I look at/think about when I'm looking at replacing an existing car or truck. My own 99 Accord has 233K on it, while my wife's 00 Accord has 236+K on it. Both have been very reliable, and we take my wife's car when we road trip.

sbuklad

Reaction score
Are you in Wooster, OH?

I may be interested if it's in decent shape. Any way you can send me some pictures?

I’m in Wooster my parents are in NE Ohio. They say they are ready to sell but I could not be sure right now. I think they want a small SUV but cant seem to part with the car they have owned all these years.

Back