potential new owner here - pittsburgh

ReeKwest

Reaction score
Morning guys. I'm currently in negotiations to trade my 94 Celica for a 6th gen coupe v6. As you may guess it IS automatic. Which brings up a concern or two seeing as how the auto tranny is known to granade. Well one concern mainly. When accelerating from a dead stop and when it shifts from 1-2 it shifts with a slight clunk at the end of transition. At first this threw up all kinds of red flags, until I searched deeper under the hood and saw that the passenger side top engine mount was totally worn out and missing the bolt that goes from mount to chassis. Which leads me to believe THAT is the cause for the clunk at low rpm and shift, as besides that, the transmission feels responsive and smooth.

I've always liked this body style coupe with a passion, and I was brought up on Honda. Owning 3 Integras, 2 civics and a 5th gen accord for a short period that I got hosed on. So I would love to be able to dive back into the wild world of Honda ownership and modification, should this mount be the issue, and not the transmission. As I do plan on surmounting the 6spd conversion, but when time and funds permit. Not at a random time when I'm not prepared.

So the short version:
Hello!
Wanna get a 6th gen v6 coupe
Would a blown top ps engine mount attribute to a slight clunk under acceleration from a dead stop and at the end of shift transitions? Or is it a tell tale sign of impending doom?

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this community in the near future

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The clunk sound could very well be the mount, and probably is imo. It is "normal" for these transmissions to lag a little between 1 and 2 when accelerating or decelerating, but that is something you feel (not audible). If it was the transmission I think things would likely be worse.

Just never accelerate hard from a dead stop. When my car was auto I only ever got on it after it had shifted into 2nd. There's a whole thread with people's inputs on how they drove the auto and tried to protect it.

Dnguyen211

Reaction score
Morning guys. I'm currently in negotiations to trade my 94 Celica for a 6th gen coupe v6. As you may guess it IS automatic. Which brings up a concern or two seeing as how the auto tranny is known to granade. Well one concern mainly. When accelerating from a dead stop and when it shifts from 1-2 it shifts with a slight clunk at the end of transition. At first this threw up all kinds of red flags, until I searched deeper under the hood and saw that the passenger side top engine mount was totally worn out and missing the bolt that goes from mount to chassis. Which leads me to believe THAT is the cause for the clunk at low rpm and shift, as besides that, the transmission feels responsive and smooth.

I've always liked this body style coupe with a passion, and I was brought up on Honda. Owning 3 Integras, 2 civics and a 5th gen accord for a short period that I got hosed on. So I would love to be able to dive back into the wild world of Honda ownership and modification, should this mount be the issue, and not the transmission. As I do plan on surmounting the 6spd conversion, but when time and funds permit. Not at a random time when I'm not prepared.

So the short version:
Hello!
Wanna get a 6th gen v6 coupe
Would a blown top ps engine mount attribute to a slight clunk under acceleration from a dead stop and at the end of shift transitions? Or is it a tell tale sign of impending doom?

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this community in the near future

I had brought my V6A with a bad accident to the front end and the battery tray had snapped the transmission control solenoid and made it seem as if the tranny was going bad but I replaced it and now it shifts perfectly, I had brought it with 2 bad tranny mounts and have since replaced the one on the front drivers side and it seems to not do much, I still have the rear drivers side mount to replace due to it had completely ripped itself from the mount. I do drive a 4dr but it shouldn't be much different.

Back