Triton V3 LEDs *Updated With Pics* - Tail Lights - Review And Install

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I recently bought the Triton V3 LEDs from VLEDS, considered one of the brightest LEDs available for cars. They are about 100$ for a PAIR, but does the price meet the output? This review is for the Triton LEDs in RED color, for the Accord sedan (98-02). I believe the coupe`s use a different bulb size, but it will work regardless, just get the correct adapter for your bulb type when checking out.

Now onto the packaging. Inside you get the following:

• 2 x LED Control Module Box? I guess that's what it is
    A bunch of assorted Grommets
    Some 3mm and 4mm Screws
    A 7443 Adapter! REMEMBER TO SELECT THIS WITH YOUR ORDER

Now, most must be thinking about how to install these into the housing. Well, first you must put the rubber grommet over the LED. I found that for our tail light housing, the smallest rubber grommet fits perfectly. They are the ones in the top row.

The next step would be to install the screws. Near the LED, there are the screw holes. These screws are used in order to hold the bulbs in the housing. For our housing, I found it best to put one screw in virtually anywhere, and then another one exactly opposite to it. Dont screw these all the way, leave a bit of thread sticking out so they can hold onto your housing!

Now finally onto the actual installation. The steps are quite simple, pull out your old bulb and put the Triton inside. I used some heavy-duty double sided tape on the control module box to mount it. I mounted it on the closest flat surface I could find near the tail lights. The wires from it are long enough to easily reach, bend around, etc to make everything nice and tidy. One wire from the control box connects to the wire from the Triton LED. The other wire from the control box connects to your adapter, which is basically the male version for your socket. You plug that into your socket from your original brake lamp and voila, youre done!

*Some things to note*

1) Remember not to put any tape on the Triton. Virtually the entire bulb is a heat-sink, so it will melt and cause problems (potentially)

2) The LED is actually adjustable / focusable in the sense that you can screw it in/out. Just grab the silver part just below the glass bulb and twist either way to extend/shorten. I haven't tested it, but I believe the best way for our housings would be to have the bulb all the way in, so it uses all the reflectors as much as possible.

3) There are some things in the packaging that we DO NOT NEED. These include the other grommets, some 4mm screws, and a pair of collars. These items are meant for other applications so don't worry about having extra "stuff"

4) The glass dome on top acts as a diffuser. So you get a lot of radial output, in fact I got better radial and direct output than my previous 21 SMD-LED tower from SuperBrightLEDs

I will soon have more pictures of the actual light output of the bulbs. The only issue is that I had my tail lights tinted but just had to replace them due to leaking, and so I can't really tell how much better the light output is until I re-tint them this weekend. However, in the stock housing with no tint I can already tell that the bulbs are 1.5x - 2x brighter than stock incandescent! Amazing for LEDs!

Now onto the pictures. The first picture is obviously up close. The second picture was taken about 3m away from the car. Finally the 3rd picture was taken about 15m from the car. As you can see, braking is clearly visible. All of these pictures were taken in DIRECT DAYLIGHT, about 2pm.
As a comparsion, stock bulbs could barely be caught on camera from 15m away. Unfortunately, I dont have pictures for that

Up Close

3m From Car

15m from car

Rep me if this helped you :) Feel free to ask any questions

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: *Review & Install* - Triton V3 LEDs! - Tail Lights

Still curious how much radial light these will have, the design looks forward-firing focused as I mentioned in the other thread. If these are are mostly forward-firing, you may end up with a big red dot in the middle of your tail lens.

When you say you can adjust the light focus, sounds like it pretty much works like a mini Maglite?

KombatVirus

Reaction score

I found that they fire radially even better so then my 21 smd led tower. And they are adjustable I believe only in length wise, so making them shorter in the housing helps it spread on the reflectors. I don't think it adjusts the focus itself, but I could be wrong because I haven't tested it

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Nice. I guess that plastic "dome" on top must be a pretty good diffuser to deflect the light laterally.

You're a sedan, right? You might want to note that in the OP.

KombatVirus

Reaction score

Nice. I guess that plastic "dome" on top must be a pretty good diffuser to deflect the light laterally.

You're a sedan, right? You might want to note that in the OP.

Okay, definitely, will do. And the dome is glass I believe

blackcord

Reaction score

How dark are your taillight tints? Post up some pics when you have a chance. I think these will compensate nicely for the loss of output due to the tints.

You mentioned that you did not screw in the locking screws all the way, but I think they will eventually loosen and fall off (especially if you have a booming system). For me, I used some really small locking washers that made the screw heads stick out enough so that it fits properly, yet it is nice and tight.

KombatVirus

Reaction score

I doubt they will loosen or fall off, even with my subs in the trunk. I think the rubber grommet might prevent the vibrations from affecting it too much. However I might still follow through with the washer idea, what size washer did you use?

Light output is amazing, I would say its on par or a bit brighter than stock. This is taking into account that my tail lights are tinted with DARK SMOKE film. Easily visible even in broad daylight. I will put pictures up as soon as possible, I am just very busy with school but hopefully can put them up today or tomorrow!

blackcord

Reaction score

Here are a couple of pics with the locking washer in place

As for size?? I have no idea, I just picked the smallest locking washer in my box of washers. They are all jumbled up now. LOL

If you want a few, I can give them to you.

Last edited:

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

Using these with a stock taillight housing is a bit awkward. Improving the lighting by x amount, but using a clouded lens is 1 step forward & 1 step back. Sedans don't have much of a choice I suppose.

KombatVirus

Reaction score

Using these with a stock taillight housing is a bit awkward. Improving the lighting by x amount, but using a clouded lens is 1 step forward & 1 step back. Sedans don't have much of a choice I suppose.

I see your point. For me personally I love the look of the tinted tails, however the light output was less than half of what I had stock. With these, even through the tint, they shine brighter than stock. I think that it could be blinding, especially at night, with no tint on. It looks really good though, and having the customization and looks of the tinted lights with an even brighter output was a winner for me! pictures hopefully tomorrrow!

Black, definitely we will meet up some time when im less busy and ill grab a couple off you! :)

Back