Torqueing a hot wheel/rim...good or bad

001Stunna

Reaction score
After running some errands today i visited a shop close to home to get them to check a squeal i was getting from the front. Turned out to be a metal piece caught between the pads and rotors and clipped itself so it wouldnt fall off on the caliper.

I was in and out in pretty much 5-10minutes. Upon putting the rim back on we came to a discussion about torquing the wheels as everything was still quite hot. I had probably been driving in 20C weather for about 3 hours before heading there.

Now, the mechanic claimed that it made no difference at all and nothing bad could come of it as long as you torqued to the proper amount. I can see his point but was a bit weary as to always being told and reading that you should never torque a hot wheel etc etc

Opinions/suggestion welcomed :)

Last edited:

turbo_911

Reaction score
If your wheel studs and everything else was more than 100C, then it would of made a difference, as the metal would of expanded.

Otherwise you are safe there. Nothing to worry about :)

scrapnav6

Reaction score
^ what he said, not to sure what that temp is in farenheite tho...damn canaidiens

001Stunna

Reaction score
20C is 68F
100C is 212F

...and cmon Celsius is way easier then Fahrenheit lolz plus almost all of the world uses it instead :p

Thanks for the input though guys :) My main reason of worry was the fact that i had a stud break on me about 1 month ago while removing it, it came off half way easily then got really tight and hard, thinking a little extra force would help didnt and it sheared right off. Just trying to avoid something like that from happening again.

turbo_911

Reaction score
Well, maybe it was a faulty stud and that's why it broke? Once a shop overtightened a nut and nothing happened. Though I had a trouble getting it off lol

Oh and I love metric system, and I still can't get used to US system especially those feet and inches lol.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Thanks for the input though guys :) My main reason of worry was the fact that i had a stud break on me about 1 month ago while removing it, it came off half way easily then got really tight and hard, thinking a little extra force would help didnt and it sheared right off. Just trying to avoid something like that from happening again.

you broke a wheel stud while removing the lug nut? :thinking:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
^Not strong enough to do that, Andy?

That's how they build them up here in :canada:

:lawl:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
if you have trouble taking the lug nut off, the lug nut was cross threaded like he said. and you didn't know until you had to take it off, thus making it seem like you did it when it wasn't. unless you were the one who put the lug nut on last.

Back