02 Accord EX from TX

ulfhednar

Reaction score
Been lurking on multiple forums since I stared working on my car a few months ago, and finally decided to join a few including this one. My Accord is just shy of 200k miles (mostly highway), and I have great things planned for it if it is willing. Maintenance has been regular in regards to oil changes, but not much else. Overall its condition inside and out is very impressive imo. I got it when it was 100K old, and the only repair I have had to do was getting my clutch replaced in Jan 2014.

All this originally started with a desire to change my oil. Realizing how easy it was I decided to change my brake pads. Then while I was researching brake pads I figured I would change the struts/springs as well as rotors while I was at it. I encountered some trouble as this was my first real car fix, but overall I was satisfied with the experience and results.

So since I started working on my car I have acquired quite a few tools, and done more repairs to include:
Timing/Balancer Belt/Adjustment bearings
Water Pump
Crankshaft seal
Front Balancer Shaft seal
Front Oil pump gasket
Head Gasket
Spark Plug seals
Valve Cover Gasket
Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Knock Sensor
Valve Adjustment
Thermostat
O2 Sensor
Slave cylinder replacement
Red Led Gauge Cluster
Interior center console replacement with better condition salvage plastic parts. (cup holder and the like.)

As well as simple things like:
Fluid Flushes
Spark Plugs
Detailed Engine bay (can eat off it)

I plan on finishing all of my car repairs/upgrades by October of this year.

So for the near future I have the following planned in the approximate order I will be doing them in:
1. Replace my 4lug hubs with 6gen V6 5lug hubs (do the bearings while Im at it, and new 5lug rear rotors)
2. Suspension Bushings/Lower ball joint replacement
3. Upgraded Front Brake Calipers (Legend GS/Accord V6 calipers...havent decided which) with applicable rotors/pads.
4. SS brake lines
5. Stock 15" Steel rims with quality tires (I like the look/dont weigh much more/going cheap on this one. $10/wheel at local salvage yard)
*1-5 will probably be done simultaneously front first, rear last
6. Front upper Strut bar from Megan Racing/Make my own
7. Front/Rear sway bars (haven't decided which ones yet till I figure out how to balance my suspension)
8. Salvage OEM Radiator that I will clean (as new as I can get)/Silicone Hoses
9. Turbo Kit (havent done much research, but seems like 5-7psi is a safe bet)-Compression is at 180+/-2 each cylinder

Also thinking about experimenting with some engine additives and switching to synthetic oil prior to turbocharging. (using Castrol GTX synthetic blend for two oil changes now with no leaks)

Then maybe Methanol injection? Idk.

Im sure more stuff will come up while Im working on all of this, but so far this is the plan.

Any thoughts?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. For being new to working on cars you've come a long way based on the list of jobs you've completed. Hope the car is solid for you. You mentioned wanting to do wheel bearings, here's DIY if you need it:
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38850

A little feedback, since you asked:

- The biggest benefit to swapping to 5-lug is increasing your wheel options. For all the work you're doing on the conversion, you're not really doing yourself justice by putting a set of 15's on such a big car. I'd at least get some 17's, they're not that expensive. Or at the very least grab a set of 16's from a V6 coupe.

- For ball joints definitely go with OEM, many people have experienced premature failure with others.

- If you can find a set of Legend calipers they are more desirable than the V6 Accord as they are dual piston.

- For the rear sway bar the best bang for the buck is the OEM 04-08 TL 6MT bar(20mm). Progress bar is the best at 24mm and the most expensive, but as soon as you drive with it on for the first time you'll forget all about the money. As for the front sway bar, most leave it stock.

Last edited:

ulfhednar

Reaction score
Welcome!! What part of Texas?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NW Houston.

And I might look into getting some 16s. Depends what is easiest to source from the salvage yard.

I was thinking about legend calipers as well, and found some Raybestos refurb calipers on ebay. Only concern is that 15s might be a little tight, but afai can tell they should fit.

I was actually going to drop the dough on a progress bar also. I hate doing things twice, so might as well pay a bit extra the first time and not have to change things later on. As far as I understand its the 04-08 Acura TL bar correct?

Back