Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > URGENT - Help Quick!

URGENT - Help Quick! Car won't start, or having another issue and hoping for an answer right away? Post in here for the quickest response.

Register to remove these ads

Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

webie is an unknown quantity at this point
Random rough startup & transmission hard shifts, after starter motor change.

I own a very well maintained and almost trouble free 00 Accord AT 4cyl with 250k miles on it. It runs great with minor issues due to it's age like a recent (original) starter problem.

3 weeks ago I changed the starter motor with an AZ Delco Replacement until I have the current one (original) rebuilded. Since then (7 days ago and today) I experienced a strange issue I couldn't find any info about or able to replicate. Those 2 times, the car took a few starter cranks to start. Starting was rough like almost stalling with low RPMs (less 700) with a sudden jump to high RPMS (over 1,500); and coming down to the regular 1,000rpm when cold starting. Then, when switching to reverse I felt a hard transmission shift; same when shifting to D. Also 1st & 2nd gear where a little rough on my 15 commute to work. When starting the car again it was symptoms free. No CEL recorded or D4 blinking. Other than that those 2 time with a rough start, the car starts quickly and engine/transmission shifting is very smooth. I just checked the transmission fluid and it's topped and pink in color. I changed it almost 20k ago.

Could it be the start of the end of my tranny/engine? Maybe some kind of computer problem? Solenoids? Any other advice tests / ideas?

Thanks!

-R
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

webie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Random rough startup & transmission hard shifts, after starter motor change.

The car did the same today (3rd time overall). Fortunately a CEL was generated (probably was pending). So I got my ODBC scanner and the pending/logged fault was P1486. Apparently this is "Coolant Thermostat Assembly".

Could this part be the cause of my symptoms? I think that part was changed more than 120K ago.