THE Car Audio and Video Review Thread

Nick1130

Reaction score
Brand & model: Pioneer AVH-P3200BT
Price paid and from where:$500 from Vision Electronics(Local)
Pros:Great sound with stock speakers, Good Video Quality, Easy to use, Build in Amp, It lets you manage your EQ. USB,AUX,SD card inputs infront of the deck which i like the most.
Cons: Screen is only 5'8in , would like to have a bigger screen but no big deal.
Final verdict:Overall, it's a good unit, highly recommended. It pretty much has everything, its also navigation ready.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Brand & model: Boston Acoustics S95 (6x9) speakers
Price paid and from where:$65 shipped from Discount Jungle...MSRP=$129.00
Pros:Amazing sound qaulity, crisp clear highs, not as much bass as previous Polk DB690, but well worth the money. 35RMS which is great sensitivity for pairing up with head unit power. Does not require external amplifier.
Cons: Not as deep bass as other 6x9 models.
Final verdict:Overall, they are great speakers, highly recommended.

BostonAcoustics_S95.jpg

vu 6thgen

Reaction score
Brand & model: Alpine Type-S Tweaters/Speakers
Price paid and from where: $75 for a pair
Pros: Absolutely great quality and sounds legit! Inexpensive speakers that work great. I have had then for over 3years now and they still work wonders.
Cons: No cons.
Final verdict: I would definitely recommend these speakers for their quality and I guess reliability? hahaha

metrick1235

Reaction score
Brand & model: Eonon 2208

Price paid and from where: 189 From Eonon.com

Pros: Touchscreen DVD and AVI playback, cd, mp3, data CD/dvd playable, Ipod, TV, could set the "honda H" as the start up screen, Steeringwheel controls, bluetooth, backup cam and multiple inputs/outputs for video Customer service is nice...

Cons: only a few audio settings hard to get it just right without a equalizer, subwoofer out is only one plug, Ipod would reset every time you turn the car off,Stereo died 4 times and had to send it back 4 times for repair,(and you pay shipping there) Manual is worthless you get more info off the wires than you can from the manual.

Final verdict:
Spend the extra money and get something that isnt Chinese...i dont recommend this unit

nabwong

Reaction score
Brand & model: Pioneer DEH 33HD
Price paid and from where: $75 from Amazon
Pros: HD Radio, Aux, USB with Ipod control, CD,
Cons: Small buttons
Final verdict:

What do you expect for $75 bucks? If you buy an fm transmitter, it will cost $10 to $50 and still sounds bad. This simple deck does everything right. Great sound coming out from the stock speakers. Looking to upgrade that though.

Anyway, HD Radio is awesome. The difference is quite amazing. Just like HD vs SD on tv. Plus there are usually multiple HD broadcasts from each stations. I live in the city so it might be different if you're in the burbs or middle of nowhere.

The usb chargers my ipod. It lets me control the ipod from the unit or ipod. I can play pandora or spotify. Bottom line, this is the best $75 I've spent on my car.

Bax

Reaction score
Brand & model: JVC KD-R210 cd mp3 player SINGLE DIN radio
Price paid and from where: I think it was $100, can't remember for sure. From Best Buy.
Pros: For only a hundred bucks, it's an okay radio. Does it's job.
Cons: No USB input.
Final verdict: It's a good radio if you're on a really limited budget.

Brand & model: Earthquake TNT T500W/2 Amp
Price paid and from where: $200 new from local sound shop. They are $100 new now, though.
Pros: It....is an amp....
Cons: Pretty crappy. It seemed very over-rated. It didn't seem to push near the 300RMS wattage it claimed to.
Final verdict: Find something better for the price.

Brand & model: Sony Xplod 1100W Amp
Price paid and from where: $150 from a friend.
Pros: Pretty good amp. It definitely delivered what it claimed it would. I had it paired up with two 12" subs and it sounded great.
Cons: It would randomly cut off sometimes when it would get hot. I read that these amps had this issue, though.
Final verdict: There are better amps for the price, but it definitely wasn't bad. I'd get another if I got a good deal on it.

Brand & model: Sony Xplod 12" subwoofer (two of them.)
Price paid and from where: $70 new. Wally-World. :lawl:
Pros: Good sub for the price.
Cons: A good amount of SPL, but the SQ was lacking.
Final verdict: Good subwoofers for the price, unless you want sound quality, then I'd advice something else.

Brand & model: Jensen UV10 FlipOut car DVD player
Price paid and from where: $200 from a friend.
Pros: Really cool radio. Never gave me any problems. It's always fun seeing people's reactions when I hit the button and the dvd screen slides out of the radio. lol
Cons: When the dvd screen was out, it was RIGHT in the way of the A/C controls. The way the screen was mounted didn't seem as sturdy as it should've been. I felt as if I were to make a mistake and nudge it too hard on accident that it could snap in half, so I sold it before I broke it. haha
Final verdict: A cool radio for the price. Always cool to have a flipout, just not the way our cars are set up in the middle console.

Brand & model: Jensen VM9224 Double Din DVD player
Price paid and from where: $299 Brand New with mounting hardware from Crutchfield.
Pros: Great radio! Especially for the price. I love watching movies on this thing, and also the touch screen works flawlessly and I've had it for almost a year now.
Cons: None so far.
Final verdict: Great radio! Perfect if you want a touch screen DVD player, but you don't want to spend too much money. It also has the option of later on down the road buying a Navigation module for it. Same goes for hooking up a rear view camera.

Brand & model: Kicker ZX1000.1 Amp
Price paid and from where: Given to me. :D
Pros: A-MA-ZING... I love this amp! It definitely pushes out 1000RMS watts. I probably could use a smaller amp for my two 10" subs honestly... I keep this amp on below 1 on the gain and it still is almost too much.
Final verdict: GREAT Amp!

Brand & model: Kicker CVT 10" Subwoofer (Two of them.)
Price paid and from where: Given to me. :D
Pros: Very nice little subs. I stopped caring about SPL a while back, and just started wanting sound quality. And these subs definitely provide that. They sound great for any kind of music.
Final verdict: Kicker definitely makes some good stuff!

Sorry I couldn't be as detailed as I probably should've been. I'm not as "Car-Audio-Savvy" as some people. :peace:

Raul

Reaction score
Brand & model: Pioneer AVHP4000DVD
Price paid and from where: $350 (not including taxes) from Best Buy
Pros: Amazing Screen, Great sound, I even used my Navigation from my phone in it's AV mode. Worked very nice :). See the pics below.
Cons: No BT, No Navi
Final verdict: For the price its a very good unit, reliable and never gave me any trouble
p2.jpg

p1.jpg

Brand & model: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Price paid and from where: $475 (used) from a gentleman. I had to drive 100 km to pick it up and get it installed.
Pros: What can I say......very very satisfied, almost no complaints. BT is clear and precise, Navi is spot on accurate when there is a route. Different sound options make it a mobile home theater without added speakers/subs etc. I also have a custom wallpaper of Honda which is just H, it shows every time I start the car.
Cons: Without the route, the navigation is kind of in accurate. For example, when you are entering an intersection, it would show that you are 20-25 feet behind it. Not a biggy because I wont be staring at the screen while driving anyway.
Final verdict: I love it! Specially the price with ipod cable and extended Future Shop warranty for until the end of 2013. I dont really care about Eco thingy, so whatever. You can also add shortcuts in the home screen. Overall, I still got a lot to learn in order to enjoy the full potential of this unit.
IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Brand & model: Pioneer AVIC-D3
Price paid and from where: $450 (used)
Pros: Accurate navigation, excellent sound quality, Vehicle Dynamics option (perfectly suits a sports car); basically it shows speedometer, accelerometer, compass and voltmeter. BT is very good and I can play music from phone via BT.
Cons: It is DVD based navigation. Not too bad though, you can get the route information which will be stored in the memory. Then you can take out the map DVD and insert whatever CD/DVD you want. No voice recognition (I could care less :p). Cant play ipod touch video but from my research, it can play video from 5th or 5.5 gen Ipods.
Final verdict: I love it! It is simple and beautiful. Vehicle dynamics is the ****! However, you MUST connect the VSS wire to this unit to get all the features working.
IMAG0391-1.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

Brand & model: Pioneer AVIC-F500BT
Price paid and from where: $85 (used)
Pros: Spot on accurate navigation with 3D landmarks. Honestly best navigation ever. Also has crystal clear Bluetooth, Voice Recognition and plays music from SD card.
Cons: I need to figure out a way to hide the wires.
Final verdict: For the price this is really amazing. It also came with an amp which is brand new. Basically if you can wire, you would wire the amp to stock system and listen to navigation/music from stock speakers. Too much hassle and I did not bother.
IMAG0565.jpg

Last edited:

FIGHT4MYACCORD

Reaction score
Brand & model: Alpine PDX M12
Price paid and from where: Paid $350 and brought from ebay.
Pros: Very small and light. Has plenty of power and I like the quick disconnects.
Cons: None
Final verdict: Would definitely buy again but can be kind of expensive if brought new but well worth it.

Brand & model: Alpine CDA 9887
Price paid and from where: Craiglist about $80
Pros: Has lots of settings and has 3 way active control.
Cons: There is buzy noise that comes from the headunit and has been brought up before about many users using the 9887 CDA's.
Final verdict: Great for price and will be keeping it for along time.

Brand & model: Rockford T400-4 four channel amp.
Price paid and from where: paid $200 dollars came with four 6.5 punch's. Got it from ebay and was in excellent condition.
Pros: Sounds great and gives 70 watts per channel at 4 ohms.
Cons: Kinda of heavy
Final verdict: Would buy again for the price.

Brand & model: Polk MM6501
Price paid and from where: Paid $180 from OnlinecarStereo.com
Pros: Great midbass and tweeters for the money.
Cons: None so far
Final verdict: First component speakers and I must say they do sound alot better then cheap coaxial speakers.

Last edited:

JLaneAccord

Reaction score
Brand & model:Kicker CVR's 12 inch
Price paid and from where: 350 from Crutchfield
Pros:Excellent solid sound. Def. do not want to go any louder
Cons:Too Big
Final verdict:I had to dynamat my whole rear of car.. still vibrating

Brand & model:Kendwood 1800 watt MOno amp
Price paid and from where:400 from crutchfield
Pros:Its a mono, it can push 900 rms at 1 ohm, what more could you ask for. I got 500 rms to each sub. Comes with built in fans.
Cons:None.
Final verdict: have powered 3 different subs with this amp and still runs hard after 4 years.

jonny

Reaction score
Brand & model: Kenwood KDC-108 single deck headunit
Price paid and from where: $100 Wal-mart black friday sale, came with two front speakers.
Pros: Improved my radio reception, read discs clearer, looks MUCH better than stock headunit, bass boost feature is EXCELLENT, removeable faceplate (you can also buy a new face plate for it), aux input, subwoofer controls if needed!
Cons: you need to buy a dash install kit, but that goes without saying
Final verdict: I would defenitley buy this again and if you're looking for a decent priced deck, buy this! You don't have to get the package with speakers.
picture.php

Brand & Model: Kenwood KFC-G1620 6-1/2 inch 2-way front speakers
Pros: Came with headunit I mentioned above, much clearer sounding than stock, can get much louder than stock, better highs
Cons: Bass isn't strong, can't handle the same power my rear speakers can.
Final Verdict: Better than my stock speakers so I put them in, I'm planning on buying a pair of Polk DXi series to match my rear speakers.

p127510h.jpg

Brand & Model: Polk Audio DXi-690 6x9 rear speakers
Price Payed: $150 from Best Buy, on sale.
Pros: THUMPS HARD, extremely clear, very little distortion at high volumes, strong bass, strong mids, strong highs, very sturdy construction, marine certified in case you get them wet (not sure how though), magnets weigh as much as stock speakers combined, and then some.
Cons: over power front speakers bass (not a problem though really)
Final Verdict: I love these speakers, they drastically effected the audio performance of my car and some of my friends even said they thought I bought a sub-woofer (these speakers really do push that much bass). BUY THESE.

x107DXi690-B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back